• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: green tea (jazz trio)

Share/Bookmark

green tea (jazz trio)

I lifted the changes from 'greensleeves' and worked them a little bit and then wrote a new melody. Please give a listen.
    -Jay Jesse

I forgot to add the link: www.katejesse.com/green.mp3

7-12-07 7:00 pm: I have addressed the panning issue by setting the piano on the left, the bass in the middle, and all of the drums on the right.

Re: green tea (jazz trio)

Hiya, Jay

NICe keyboard playing! The whole arrangement sounds super fine to me. Wow--The Listening Room sure is getting jazzed up recently, and I'm loving it!

One question about your mix--you have the drums over to the right. I think you were imagining the layout of a combo on stage, and how it would sound like this if the drummer was to one side, even though they usually aren't. It sounded a bit odd to me, and I know it's because we're so used to hearing drum kits dead center, the kit spread around in stereo as they are in reality, but kick and snare at center. It just took me by surprise.

Impressive, organic sounding recording--Good going, Jay!

-side note to Larry - It sounded quiet to you? I had to adjust my speakers volume down Lower--! Check on this, Larry--I've found that the sound mixer in Windows, at least on my computer here, gets constantly re-set depending on what I've done with the volume controls in the Media Player. It's annoying, but I'm constantly having to open up the mixer icon and putting the Wave Balance slider back up near the top where it belongs. It's invariably almost off before I adjust it. I strongly suspect that's happening to you also.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Randy, I am glad that you liked my song. I was trying to separate the drums a little. Maybe it was to much. On your side note: I think Larry was making a joke, because I initially forgot to put the link to the mp3 on my post. So he was not hearing anything. At least I hope it was a joke. Anyway thanks for listening.
    -Jay

Hello again, Jay

AH! I get it--Humor--AR AR AR! You're right, I'm sure, about Larry's response was written pre-link being on your post. Thanks for spelling out the joke for me.

Wanting to separate the drums, I see. I think it sounds all right that way, but I guess I have to ask--Why try to separate the drums? Good drum kits, like those in JABB are programmed with natural panning, and that's why they work great in the center, even if that's just the traditional standard way of mixing. Off to the side, they lose their stereo imaging. Ya know? But it's not as if I found this an "error"--just an unusual choice.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Jay,

Don't like green tea, only Lipton. But when all tea was as this nice piece I certainly switch from coffee to tea. Yes, Randy, there are some great Jazz musicians among us. Let them come forward, please.....

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    -side note to Larry - It sounded quiet to you? I had to adjust my speakers volume down Lower--! Check on this, Larry--I've found that the sound mixer in Windows, at least on my computer here, gets constantly re-set depending on what I've done with the volume controls in the Media Player. It's annoying, but I'm constantly having to open up the mixer icon and putting the Wave Balance slider back up near the top where it belongs. It's invariably almost off before I adjust it. I strongly suspect that's happening to you also.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    I was making a joke because when I read his posting he had forgotten to include a link.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Jay,

that`s cool, I like it!

About the drums... . Just mix the drums to a subgroup and insert a reverb plug, but give there volume only to the early reflections..... .

I mix mostly into subgroups, insert there early reflections and than use one reverb as a "send effect" for all subgroups with different volumesettings... . Experiment this.

My Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Jay,

You finally realized your mistake in not posting the link.
    Now where to begin. Great piano playing but needs a bit distortion.
    It’s too clean. Electric piano notes at high velocity usually overdrive the amp.
    What I do is narrow the stereo track for the drums. Your drums need work badly apart from the panning issue there is just no syncopation. The bass would normally be in the middle as bass frequencies are non positional in respect of panning.
    I’m sorry if this sounds very negative, but I’m not criticizing your musicianship.
    The general level is good it just needs, well, it’s hard to describe online in words. I’ve been used to having someone sit here beside me with the DAW up and running and be able to demonstrate real time what the various tweaks etc. do to a mix.

My main question for you Jay is. Does it seem natural to you hearing drums on the left and ride cymbal on the right of a stereo recording. If you can’t close your eyes and say “hmm! That doesn’t sound right or natural” then you’ve got a lot of work to do to achieve a passable sound for a combo.
    Listen to CD’s of your favouritebands etc. listen to the positioning of the instruments in the mix and try to match that with your stuff.

If your ears don’t hear the subtle differences in the mixes then you have a problem trying to record a good mix.

My Best

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Great piano playing but needs a bit distortion.
    It’s too clean. Electric piano notes at high velocity usually overdrive the amp.
    Smile,

someone like distored pianos, otherone like clean pianos....

I like both.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Smile,

someone like distored pianos, otherone like clean pianos....

I like both.
    I wasn't commenting on likes or dislikes, just what happens in the real world.

Ray

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast