• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Are any other Sonivox MUSE owners disappointed?

Share/Bookmark

Are any other Sonivox MUSE owners disappointed?

I recently purchased Sonivox's MUSE and am sad to say that this is my first disappointing purchase in several years. I guess my expectations were set too high due to Jennifer Hruska (formerly of Kurzweil) running Sonivox. I was an avid Kurzweil fan having owned and really enjoyed Kurzweil synths for almost 15 years. Some of the sounds in MUSE sound like they came from the sample ROMs of early 90's synths. Maybe the fault lies in the fact that I already own some of the best sample libs out there and perhaps it was just a waste of money for me to buy an all-in-one library, but gosh, I thought that there would be some inspiring stuff in there. Even the synth stuff (which coincidently got the better reviews) sounded lifeless to me. It really seems like there was virtually no effort put into their programming. Is it just me? I truly have no intention in wanting to hurt the reputation of a product, but I felt compelled to share my opinions to see if maybe my ears are going bad. Am I alone in my position on MUSE?

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: Are any other Sonivox MUSE owners disappointed?

When I heard the music demos when Muse first came out, I was also disappointed. One of the Sonivox people was hanging out at KVR (I think he was from Sonivox - it was a while ago and now I cannot remember as well) and asked what we thought. I told him they stunk and a forum flame war ensued for a while. I felt bad for being honest, but I was being honest. I thought they sounded tinny and 8 bit (to me).

I am so very sorry to hear about this. Especially since I have heard that Sonivox strings and their brass band products are supposed to be incredible (albeit, expensive).

Mike

Their Symphonic Strings do sound great. I'm just not sure what they were thinking with MUSE. I am definitely doing much more research from now on when purchasing new VSTi's and libraries.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

I've been looking at MUSE for the Harmonica sample that it has as I'm working on a piece that I'd like to use a Harmonica in.. Is the Harmonica in MUSE any good? There's only like one demo that has it.. Not sure whether that or American Heartland (which is older and Akai format) is better for Harmonica.

Theres a dedicated harmonica library from Zero G.
    You can check it at the Time&Space website.
    It features some multisamples and a lot of phrases.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler
    Theres a dedicated harmonica library from Zero G.
    You can check it at the Time&Space website.
    It features some multisamples and a lot of phrases.
    I was about to say the same : several people told me that it is a detailed and valuable lib, as far as -sampled- harmonica is concerned. And a relatively low-priced one if I recall right.
    Plus, is'nt the purchase of a not so cheap package (Muse) a big move, just for one instrument ?

I saw that Zero-G Harmonica but unfortunately according to the page it is only in EXS24 and Halion format - it does not mention Giga..

Sonivoxx has one of the best products in the market. Their Symphonic collection is unmatched, the harp, the Big Broadway Band..
    However Muse and flying percursion are really dissapointing.

I've ignored the Muse comments, because I've posted before that I disagree. It has a lot of very good stuff in my opinion.

But Flying Hand Percussion?!

WHAT?!

That's one of the absolute best libraries on the planet by any standard. The samples have a lot of life, it's detailed, beautifully recorded, programmed well...I don't understand.

Just for kicks, I spent over 4 hours yesterday evening and went through every patch in MUSE one last time: I deleted it off my drive this morning. What a waste of $300. I will say that some of the strings were good, but since I already have excellent string libs it didn't mean anything to me. Feeling like I wasted my money for the very first time (music software), I will really be thinking hard on all future purchases. Its my fault, though, I listened to the MUSE demos, wasn't impressed, and STILL purchased it. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Go Back to forum