• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: I'm going to use real string performers- advice sought

Share/Bookmark

I'm going to use real string performers- advice sought

I have decided to use real performers for an upcoming project of mine, mostly string and choir performers. I've already met with a conductor here in Las Vegas who will be assisting me in scoring out the parts for the performers. Everything is coming out of my own pocket and knowing how expensive this will all be I wanted to get some advice from others here who have done the same. I am in the process of looking for a studio here in Las Vegas for the recordings and the conductor I met will assist me in finding the best performers that will work for peanuts. I would love to hear others experiences and what they think I should be apprehensive about.

Thanks!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: I'm going to use real string performers- advice sought

Sean,

You will have a lot on your mind at the session(s). Have a skilled musician-preferably someone experienced with orchestral and/or choral ensembles on hand. You will either need to produce the conductor while he worries about the score, or someone will need to produce you if you are leading the ensemble. One can become buried in scoring/interpretation issues, and forget to notice a simple flat pitch in the violas that, when noticed during mixing, will render the whole recording useless. Have an extra set of ears on hand-ones that you trust!

To that end, also do not roll tape (or whatever medium) until you (and all involved) are happy with the monitoring situation. The above example of a tuning issue was taken from an experience where a) It was left unclear who was actually "producing" the session, and b) Monitoring levels were left imperfect in the name of getting on with it. Big mistake.

Best of luck with the project!

Belbin

I'd record it at T Bone's unless his room isn't big enough. Call him @ 364-2663 and Lisa Viscuglia can help you with players, if you need it. T Bone can give you her #.

Does T-Bone's have a website?

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

http://www.sonsongstudio.com/

He's a great guy. One of my oldest friends here.

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Sean,

You will have a lot on your mind at the session(s). Have a skilled musician-preferably someone experienced with orchestral and/or choral ensembles on hand. You will either need to produce the conductor while he worries about the score, or someone will need to produce you if you are leading the ensemble. One can become buried in scoring/interpretation issues, and forget to notice a simple flat pitch in the violas that, when noticed during mixing, will render the whole recording useless. Have an extra set of ears on hand-ones that you trust!

To that end, also do not roll tape (or whatever medium) until you (and all involved) are happy with the monitoring situation. The above example of a tuning issue was taken from an experience where a) It was left unclear who was actually "producing" the session, and b) Monitoring levels were left imperfect in the name of getting on with it. Big mistake.

Best of luck with the project!

Belbin
    Thanks for the good advice, Belbin.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

The one thing I know about live recording, is that you do not want to be the engineer in the session. I mean, it is your music, you will have to take care of how it sounds, and the performance. Even with a conductor, it is, in the end, up to you to see any faults (as Belbin says as well). The last thing you need to worry about is about the gain, levels, mic position etc...

You are in LA, so I can't give any recomandation, but I do know that, in London, for 300$ you get a great engineer for a whole day. Sure he's not the tops, but he will do the job, and free your mind for everything else.

DON'T get caught with too many things. Keep an eye for the scores, and performance. That's enough as it is...

That's all from me

EDIT: hmmm.. pretty much what Belbin says... or pretty close to it, anyways.

This may be obvious, but it bears repeating:

Make sure your parts are good. I am always amazed by how much time is wasted by errors in the parts, or misjudgements in voice leading. Then you have to scramble to fix things while money goes down the drain. It sounds like you are going over the parts with a third party before the session, which is a very good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    EDIT: hmmm.. pretty much what Belbin says... or pretty close to it, anyways.
    Nope. I think you said it better:

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    DON'T get caught with too many things. Keep an eye for the scores, and performance. That's enough as it is...
    That is what I said, although you put it in the form of a general warning. I commend you for translating my specific mistake into general good sense. I wish I could do that.

-Belbin

1) MAKE SURE your parts are right - this is a HUGE waste of money that's easily fixed before hand. If nothing else sit down and play each part into your computer just to check for accuracy. A good copiest may be pricy but it will save you in the long run. You should be able to get a top copiest for around $6/measure

2) Make sure your musicians are worth the money and price a couple other places. Often times it's not worth spending the money if the musicians aren't the top because in the end samples would have been better. Another option is to do samples and use fewer but better live musicians. This will accent your music and make it feel live for MUCH less. Price surrounding areas because honestly the worst feeling (take it from me) is to spend a bunch of money and always apologize because the players aren't perfect. You want a great recording and a great demo - find a way to make sure it sounds like you want.

3) Take everyone's advice - don't try to do it all yourself.

PM me if you want more info about various cheap options.

J-

Go Back to forum