• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: Galaxy II Wow!

Share/Bookmark

Galaxy II Wow!

Check out the demos. Sounds friggin' great!

www.galaxypianos.com

Re: Galaxy II Wow!

If it plays as good as it sounds, it looks like there's gonna be some heavy competition for Ivory...

Yep, it does sound spectacular. Can anyone comment on the playability of the earlier release of Galaxy? Playability is one of main complaints about piano libraries in general, and the reason I keep going back to the piano built into my Roland RD700SX.

Hi,
    I play Galaxy Steinway in my gigs since 2004 and I think it's the best sample of Steinway piano. I would like to have the sound of Galaxy and the playability of Truepianos or Pianoteq.
    I hope this Galaxy II will run smoothly. I can't buy a new computer for a new sample.
    I will upgrade as soon as possible.

Ciao
    Robi

The ad says that GII has true una corda samples. On further reading, it cannot be concluded whether this is true only for the Vienna and Baby Grands, or also for the Steinway.

If you don't read carefully, you would really conclude that all pianos in GII would have una corda samples. This is what I don't like about advertisments. It's like Ivory saying they have sympathetic resonance.

Regarding the Steinway in GII, can anyone tell if the samples used are the same as the piano in the original Galaxy? Although it says on page 4 of the manual "For Galaxy II, a model D was recorded in Galaxy Studios, Belgium...", it's not conclusive. Sounds double-meaning to me. As far as I can tell from the ads it's the same piano, but with added features like sympathetic resonance. Can anyone confirm?

The Bose and Bluthner both sound very good in the demos.

Quote Originally Posted by Robi
    Hi,
    I play Galaxy Steinway in my gigs since 2004 and I think it's the best sample of Steinway piano. I would like to have the sound of Galaxy and the playability of Truepianos or Pianoteq.
    I hope this Galaxy II will run smoothly. I can't buy a new computer for a new sample.
    I will upgrade as soon as possible.

Ciao
    Robi
    Hi Robi, thanks for the info. I agree with your system concern -- I see they haven't posted a system requirement yet. I also gather from this message that you like the original Galaxy sound but are not wild about how it plays...is that accurate? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robi
    I play Galaxy Steinway in my gigs since 2004 and I think it's the best sample of Steinway piano. Robi
    Hi, Robi!

How does original Galaxy compare with Ivory Steinway and NI Akoustik Steinway? Any comments would be very much appreciated since I do not have Galaxy.

Jun

Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    Hi Robi, thanks for the info. I agree with your system concern -- I see they haven't posted a system requirement yet. I also gather from this message that you like the original Galaxy sound but are not wild about how it plays...is that accurate? Thanks.
    Hi,
    It's difficult for me to tell you in english about my impressions of this piano.
    Galaxy is very expressive, when you play soft the sound is warm and rich. Tuning is perfect. I tried several piano sample butthis is the best tuned.
    Compared with other sample is less powerful and a little thinner.

Ciao

Robi

Those demos are nice. Could someone give me an idea of how this stacks up with Ivory? Say a side by side "Ivory has this and Galaxy II has that" sort of thing... I saw that galaxy has 13 velocity layers, but I couldn't find any place where it mentions if "Each Piano is chromatically sampled... all 88 notes at every dynamic level" like Ivory has.

Hi everybody,

my name is Uli and I’m one of the producers of Galaxy II. I hope I can clarify a few things, which were coming up in this forum so far.

- First of all, if you like the demos, you really should like the instrument, because all demos have been done just with Galaxy II’s features. No additional EQ, compression, reverb or whatsoever ... it’s all in the instrument.
    - Concerning playabillity I can quote the pianist, who actually did the sampling session for the Vienna and the Baby Grand, saying that „it pretty much feels like sitting at the real Boesendorfer in the studio“. It always depends on the keyboard of course. We have integrated a velocity editor for this purpose, and we already have new ideas for an easier customization. We just want to wait for the first reactions after release before working on the first update.
    - There are no system requirements on the website simply because we are building this site bit by bit in the moment. There is so much to do. The support area including the FAQs ist also still empty. This will change next week. One of the testers tried it on a Mac G4 Powerbook and ranked GII more CPU efficient than Akoustik Piano, which basically has the same engine (Kontakt 2).
    - GII’s Steinway is based on the samples of the ‚old’ Galaxy Steinway 5.1. But with the new Kontakt Player 2 the possibillities and the playabillity are way enhanced. There are additional samples like string- or hammer noises or overtone samples for Sympathetic String Resonance. But unlike the two new grand pianos of this collection, the Galaxy Steinway does no offer una corda samples, simply because we di not record them. This is pointed out on the box but unfortunately not on our website, which will be fixed shortly.
    - The Vienna Grand and the Baby Grand are mapped in halftones (88 keys for the Bluethner and 97 for the Boesendorfer) and have 13 velocity zones for every key. The Steinway, like the original Galaxy Steinway, is mapped in whole tones and has 10 velocity zones. We will point this out on our website as well. Sorry. In 'exchange' the Steinway offers a stereo and a 5.1 surround version.
    - Galaxy II will be released in about 10 days. I don’t know about the price in the USA yet, in Europe it’s 249€ or 99€ for the upgrade from Galaxy Steinway 5.1 . We have a forum on www.galaxypianos.com, but also will have a periodic look on other forums. We are very anxious to reactions, criticism and suggestions, and definitely will respond with our updates. I hope you will like it.

Best
    Uli

Go Back to forum