• Register
  • Help

Topic: Key / valve clicks & sounds?

Share/Bookmark

Key / valve clicks & sounds?

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find samples of the pressing of keys and valves by players of common instruments (e.g. flute, trumpet, horn, sax, etc). I've downloaded Bela D scoring noise 2 (is there a version 1?) and it has some great sounds in it, but no key/valve clicks. I think adding a few select sounds may improve realism, and was just interested in trying it out.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Re: Key / valve clicks & sounds?

There is a nice set of trumpet valve/click sounds at http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/index.php

Perhaps there are other instruments there as well, I haven't checked.

I just discovered an oboe click patch in EWQLSO that I didn't know was there before. I don't know why they only chose the oboe for such treatment. (As a former high school oboe player, I think maybe it's some sort of slight. Hmm...)

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find samples of the pressing of keys and valves by players of common instruments (e.g. flute, trumpet, horn, sax, etc). I've downloaded Bela D scoring noise 2 (is there a version 1?) and it has some great sounds in it, but no key/valve clicks. I think adding a few select sounds may improve realism, and was just interested in trying it out.

Thanks in advance for your reply!
    If I remember correctly, there is key noises in SN2. There definitely is with ACW and ASW.

Here is a copy of a "Lite" version of SN1. The full version had been removed from our server due to file size and bandwidth usage.

http://www.beladmedia.com/scoring-noise-lite.zip

Francis Belardino
    Bela D Media.com
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Hello,

I think adding a few select sounds may improve realism, and was just interested in trying it out.
    Beyond adding realism these clicks and clacks can be a useful effect in themselves. If you slam the keys down hard enough on the smaller woodwind instruments you actually get a pitched clack, determined by the keys that you slam down.

I think I'm going to try something along those lines in the Summer vacation - I have to go into school anyway, to learn all the new equipment I just ordered, in order to teach Music Tech next term. I may as well learn my way around the mixing desk by producing some samples, and I can easily lay my hands on clarinet, flute and tenor and alto sax. I'll let you know if I get around to it.

In the Vienna Special Edition, the bass clarinet has some surprise clicks built into it... makes for AMAZING realism when playing. YOu might even fool your film's sound designer.

Kerry
    Mr. Kerry Muzzey

Go Back to forum