• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Which VST can emulate ALL classic synthesizers ?

Share/Bookmark

Which VST can emulate ALL classic synthesizers ?

Hello,
    1. which VST is the best to emulate all classic-synthesizers, like DX7, Minimoog, Jupiter, Prophet, Virus, ...?
    2. Is NI REAKTOR the thing to go?
    3. How close is the emulation to the real thing? Experiences?
    4. Let's assume I have the real Jupiter-8V e.g. and use a certain sound oft it. Is it very easy to find then the sound's emulation in a VST like REAKTOR?

Regards,
    Metuschelach

Re: Which VST can emulate ALL classic synthesizers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Metuschelach
    Hello,
    1. which VST is the best to emulate all classic-synthesizers, like DX7, Minimoog, Jupiter, Prophet, Virus, ...?
    None can really do it all.

2. Is NI REAKTOR the thing to go?
    Reaktor is certainly wonderful and without a doubt the most versatile synth on the market...but the downside is it takes a lot of CPU and can be quite complex to use.

3. How close is the emulation to the real thing? Experiences?
    Not so close. :-)

Generally speaking, individual specialized VSTs are better at emulation. impOSCar for the OSCar, Oddity for the ARP Oddyssey, etc. (and the software emulations greatly vary in quality too.)

4. Let's assume I have the real Jupiter-8V e.g. and use a certain sound oft it. Is it very easy to find then the sound's emulation in a VST like REAKTOR?
    No....generally speaking, that's really difficult to do without sampling the original patch.

Arturias Analog Factory is pretty good, it ships with 2000 sounds from their other virtual synths.

Moog Modular
    Moog (Mini)
    Arp 2600
    CS80

etc..

That may help..

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

It looks like Arturia is a good way to start. The main reason of the search is the ge music of George Duke. George uses Mini-Moog, ARP, Prophet what else? Probably "Analog Factory" is the way to start.

Does somebody know, what kind of synths he using in "Sausalito" in his "Soul Lounge"? Is there any database/web page where songs are listed and where you can find which sounds and effects are used?

Hi. You can't do much programming with Analog Factory. I have heard the Arturia stuff. But I use the Gforce Minimonsta and NI Pro-53. Also Imposcar. Don't know about the ARP stuff.If you know how to program synths then I would say stay away from AF. You may wish to check out Zebra2 and also Bob Pappens Stuff. Both options are great and not alike much at all. I also use Reaktor. It is deep and as mentioned a CPU gobbler as is Minimonsta. Minimonsta is intense on CPU due to its impressive filters and osc.s It's FAT and GOOEY.. Check it. JON

Hi. Very exciting stuff Steph, But I use AU not vst,..So not much fun here. Besides I alredy own Minimonsta.Which is polyphonic and has some great modulation routings. But this is as I mentioned a very exciting thing. Cool. JON

It is very unlikey that any VSTi will ever be able to emulate ANY type of synth as there are so many different types of systhesis. If any come close then surely they are leaning more to the realms of "Jack-of-all-trades and Master of none"

There are many good freeware synths available try http://www.vstcentral.com/plugins.as...earch=free+vst

for a good start

Zebra 2 by u-he (www.u-he.com/zebra2) is one of the best new softsynths around. It's modular and incredibly powerful, with really deep oscillators and lots of filter models. The programmer is a genius and there are thousands of patches available, including several commercial banks.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Which one is the best minimoog emulation?

I think I will start with a minimoog emulation. Which one do you think is the best?

Hi. For me without a doubt Minimonsta. It goes beyond just a faithful recreation. IT IS VERY CPU intensive however.Much depends on the amount of voices mostly in the detune mode.JON

Go Back to forum