• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Nikolai Kapustin - P+F no. 1 in C maj

Share/Bookmark

Nikolai Kapustin - P+F no. 1 in C maj

Awhile back, I posted some renderings of Kapustin's Preludes, and you all were very kind in your comments...

I've since found a commercial recording of the pieces, and enjoyed listening to a real performance - oddly enough, Finlae 2006 and a well-marked score came pretty close to what the composer himslef played - the only differences were some more pronounced ritards, and more shading of dynamics, both of which are performance decisions that only a human can inject into a work.

I decided to tackle one of the other works this wonderful composer has written - the first of his 24 Preludes and fugues:

http://www.evensongmusic.net/kapusti...andFNo1inC.mp3

I'm blown away at how well Finale interprets this - I chose to add some further markings than were in the score (thanks qccowboy for the tips) in order to get more expressive dynamics, but the interpretation is all Finale 2006 HP

For Randy I've scaled back my usual rolling reverb so you could have a front seat!
    For Tom H my apologies for raising your cholesterol with this one!
    For etLux enjoy the jazz fugue

Enjoy!

Re: Nikolai Kapustin - P+F no. 1 in C maj

That's pretty impressive. I'm a Sibelius man when it comes to my scoring program. To be honest I've never really had a serious attempt at using it to produce a performance - I always resort to Cubase for that - but I suspect it wouldn't do this.

I love the piece too. I'd never heard of Kapustin - will definitely have to hunt down some scores and learn them.

Thanks for sharing this!!

Talking Re: Nikolai Kapustin - P+F no. 1 in C maj

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    That's pretty impressive. I'm a Sibelius man when it comes to my scoring program. To be honest I've never really had a serious attempt at using it to produce a performance - I always resort to Cubase for that - but I suspect it wouldn't do this.

I love the piece too. I'd never heard of Kapustin - will definitely have to hunt down some scores and learn them.

Thanks for sharing this!!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Kapustin is definitely worth searching out - his is a wonderful blend of Jazz and classical forms.

Finale with GPO/JaBB is wonderful when combined with human playback - I've not switched to 2007 or 2008 because of the problems folks have had so far, but I've been very pleased with what the program can do, even without the upgrades.

Cheers and thanks for listening!

Jon,

If this is giving us all a front seat, you sure like all lot of room.

Ray

Not only am I a fan of the music but this is a wonderfully convincing interpretation. Kinda scary how well HP does with this. Of course, I had to up my meds thanks to you!!

Tom

That`s great!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Not only am I a fan of the music but this is a wonderfully convincing interpretation. Kinda scary how well HP does with this. Of course, I had to up my meds thanks to you!!

Tom

Hee hee....

Glad to have provided some nice rich fare....

I was also impressed how well HP did - There were a couple of spots where the notes were too loud or too soft, and I checked "include MIDI data" and actually went in and edited the data in Finale(!)

If I had needed to do a lot of that, it's likely I would have exported the whole shootin' match to a MID file and done the tweaking in a DAW. As it was, there was no need to do that, since there were only a couple spots to tweak.

When it looks like most of the annoying issues have been addressed in Finale 2008, I'll probably take the plunge and upgrade - I'd dearly love to use the Strad with Finale.... I've not bothered to try that yet.

Cheers,

Hi, Jonathan - It's Excellent to see you back again with more wonderfully Juicy music for us.

Fabulous composition--I can certainly see why you're attracted to working with Kapustin's material. I love musical thrill rides, and this is one for sure.

hehe--your comment about adjusting the use of reverb so we're sitting closer. Sounds nice, though I will agree with Ray that this isn't quite what I'd call a front row seat. It's more like middle of the house, of a Large house. Really it's sounding much better to me though, not distractingly HUuuge. - Side note on that though--Have you seriously experimented with a Drastically lower percentage of reverb so you can give yourself the chance to hear the difference?

The "rendering" of this is really impressive indeed. Not being a notation user, I didn't understand this one thing you said:

"...the only differences were some more pronounced ritards, and more shading of dynamics, both of which are performance decisions that only a human can inject into a work..."

If you wanted the more dramatic ritards, like in the live recording you have of this, you could place those in Finale couldn't you? And same with the dynamics--getting into the MIDI editor as you described doing in order to tame some notes that were too loud--Why would you say those are the kind of decisions only a human can inject? You're a human using software, and you can make decisions like that also--yes?

Thanks for this. It's a great piece and a wow of a recording.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Talking Re: Nikolai Kapustin - P+F no. 1 in C maj

Ray - for me this is a "closer to the front row" mix....
    (remember, I'm an organist in love with 10 sec reverbs in cathedrals to come to this is like... well... NEGATIVE reverb for me )

Gunther - Glad you enjoyed it

Cheers,

I am not familiar with the work of Kapustin. I’ll have to look for his music. I really enjoyed this prelude & fugue. The performance was great – it’s hard to believe a computer program did it.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast