• Register
  • Help

Topic: Snap, crackle pop goes the Delta 44. I NEED SOME HELP!!!

Snap, crackle pop goes the Delta 44. I NEED SOME HELP!!!

Ok, I just purchased a Delta 44 and I was trying to record track by track. Which produces really low polyphony (maybe 48 voices playing gigaharp solo) and for some reason I still hear snaps and pops in the recording. I have the delta set up for 44.1KHZ recording at 16 bit. I tried it at 48KHZ and 24bit but that was horrid. My pc specs are as follows:

Compaq Presario - 2.4 GHZ Celeron
    375 MB ram
    Delta 44 soundcard
    SB Live! Value (everything is routed through the Delta the sb live is just filling a space)
    My video cards accelerator is shut off.

Windows 98 SE
    Gigastudio 2.5
    Cakewalk 9.0
    Soundforge 5.0
    All other programs closed.

The funny thing is, is that my SB Live! Value never clicked and/or popped when I was recording 138 voices at once w/GSNFX @ 44KHZ 16bit, running on a P3 500 Mhz system with less ram. Also, the free software discs I got from Delta never even read in my cd drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Snap, crackle pop goes the Delta 44. I NEED SOME HELP!!!

Turn ON the video card accelerator. If you have that OFF, the cpu will have to do all the work instead of your graphics card.

Make sure you have the latest Delta drivers. It sounds like a driver issue, compounded by your video card\'s accelerator turned off.

usually, clicks and pops occur when the sound card and the video card both fight for cpu cycle and the video card wins.

Also, try ditching Win98 and go Win2K or XP.

In Sonar/Cakewalk, did you run the audio profiler? This sometimes fix a lot of pops and crackle problems.

Maybe add more RAM... 512MB to 1gig wouldn\'t hurt.

Just try all of the above things. Hope this helps!

Re: Snap, crackle pop goes the Delta 44. I NEED SOME HELP!!!

Make sure your Delta isn\'t sharing any IRQ\'s with another device (the number one reason for pops and clicks). You may have to move it to a different slot to get an unshared IRQ. Also, use the WDM driver version rather than the latest The later one has problems with Giga under Win9x.

Go Back to forum