• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 ? Is this a good choice for sampling/scoring ?

Share/Bookmark

Question M-Audio Audiophile 2496 ? Is this a good choice for sampling/scoring ?

Hey Everybody

I have to upgrade my soundcard. My budget is tight and from what I can afford, this is an option: M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

I read the reviews everywhere, and 95% of users agree that this card is one heck of a card for the price and is a good buy.

I want to buy it so I can have good latency support (it supports ASIO, ASIO 2) etc. etc.

Does anybody own this card, or can anyone tell me if this will be a good buy for scoring/sequencing/sampling using GPO and other libraries.

It is on sale for $99. I have to order by tomorrow.

Any advise would be appreciated !!

Thanks

Re: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 ? Is this a good choice for sampling/scoring ?

yes its a good product it was first scince then upgraded

I think you would be very pleased with this card, I have actually never read anything negative about it. Seems to be THE card for the "better than a soundblaster" market. As long as you never want to go more than 1 stereo\2 mono inputs.
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

Absolutely the best card for the money, and it's the one I use. Specs are as good as expensive high end devices, it's just limited in its inputs, as Chester pointed out. But if you're primarily working with soft synths, you'll be set to jet.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Also have one and be warned IT HAS NO HEADPHONE jacket.
    It is really a good "more-than-beginners-card".

Good luck and don't forget to download the lastest driver!!!!

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Empneo
    Hey Everybody

I have to upgrade my soundcard. My budget is tight and from what I can afford, this is an option: M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

I read the reviews everywhere, and 95% of users agree that this card is one heck of a card for the price and is a good buy.

I want to buy it so I can have good latency support (it supports ASIO, ASIO 2) etc. etc.

Does anybody own this card, or can anyone tell me if this will be a good buy for scoring/sequencing/sampling using GPO and other libraries.

It is on sale for $99. I have to order by tomorrow.

Any advise would be appreciated !!

Thanks
    THANKS FOR THE REPLIES GUYS !!
    I REALLY APRECIATE THE CONFIRMATION.

I DO NEED AND EARPHONE JACK AS I DONT HAVE MONITORS AT THIS STAGE. IS THERE ANOTHER CARD THAT IS UNDER $110 THAT
    HAS MORE IN/OUTS and EARPHONE JACKET ?

OR HOW CAN I LISTEN TO MY AUDIO WITHOUT AN EARPHONE JACK.

THANKS

Hey Everybody

It's a fine-sounding card (as everybody so far has testified) with excellent XP drivers and very good latency. Bear in mind a few more things, if they will matter to you.

There are some potential upgrade problems:

a} It's a PCI card, and those slots are disappearing from new motherboards. An upgrade could make it unusable in a couple of years. Not certainly, but possibly.

b} M-Audio have been slow to make Vista drivers for this entire line of cards. It's not clear whether they ever intend to do so at all.

For the budget-struck, Ebay is awash in second-hand Audiophile cards well under $99. I've scored one for $30, delivered cost. I've never known one to stop working, so it's reasonably safe buy to get used ones.

Should you need more I/O later (and if you have slots for it), up to 4 Audiophiles can be run side-by-side on the same driver installation, as if they were all one unit. They're automaticall recognized by the drivers. Doing that provides up to 64 MIDI channels, as well as the extra audio I/O.

Good luck.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by lallis
    It's a fine-sounding card (as everybody so far has testified) with excellent XP drivers and very good latency. Bear in mind a few more things, if they will matter to you.

There are some potential upgrade problems:

a} It's a PCI card, and those slots are disappearing from new motherboards. An upgrade could make it unusable in a couple of years. Not certainly, but possibly.

b} M-Audio have been slow to make Vista drivers for this entire line of cards. It's not clear whether they ever intend to do so at all.

For the budget-struck, Ebay is awash in second-hand Audiophile cards well under $99. I've scored one for $30, delivered cost. I've never known one to stop working, so it's reasonably safe buy to get used ones.

Should you need more I/O later (and if you have slots for it), up to 4 Audiophiles can be run side-by-side on the same driver installation, as if they were all one unit. They're automaticall recognized by the drivers. Doing that provides up to 64 MIDI channels, as well as the extra audio I/O.

Good luck.

Larry

OK. GREAT INFO. SO WHAT WOULD THEN BE THE BEST. PCI, FIREWIRE, US.
    I AM JUST IN NEED OF A CARD THAT OFFERS ZERIO OR LOW LATENCY WITH ASIO, ASIO 2 SUPPORT. I WAS LOOKING ON E-BAY AND YEAH THERE IS GREATER CARDS AND AUDIO INTERFACES FOR THE SAME PRICE I AM PAYING FOR THE NEW CARD.

BUT WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST PCI, FIREWIRE, USB ? EASE THERE A DIFFERENCE IN LATENCY ?

...WHAT WOULD THEN BE THE BEST. PCI, FIREWIRE, US.
    PCI cards are much the cheapest now. People are upgrading and dumping them. So buck the trend and get one. If you upgrade so you can't use it any longer, it will not be painful to scrap it or relegate it to a secondary machine.

PCI cards are still the slickest to use. (Fewer cables. No potentially-flaky Firewire and USB interfaces to fight with.)

Latency depends mostly on the quality of available drivers, less on the interface type. So M-Audio PCI is fast. Soundblaster PCI is slow.

There's a more ambitious M-Audio card called 1010LT, by the way, which is often quite cheap on Ebay. It's essentially 4 Audiophiles on one card. You might consider that, for more Audio I/O. But its MIDI interface is usually no good, for some reason; not a problem if you have other MIDI, oitherwise potential disaster.

Hey Everybody

I have to upgrade my soundcard.
    What are you upgrading from? You might find the 2496 is not the leap you are hoping for.

Go Back to forum