• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bridge Over Troubled Water rendering

Bridge Over Troubled Water rendering

In the interest of learning to use JABB, I did this rendering of Keith Mansfield's arrangement (recorded by Maynard Ferguson) of Paul Simon's Bridge Over Troubled Water. This was a good learning exercise since it uses an entire big band with Maynard's screaming trumpet on top. I know the tenor solo is too soft at times, but I really had a problem getting it loud enough. Anyway, enough excuses, here's the link:

Any and all comments, especially regarding technical issues, are welcome.

Re: Bridge Over Troubled Water rendering

I've got this track on vinyl somewhere and I'll look it out.
    I realise you are involved in jazz so before I comment on the recording of this piece, I wonder if you could tell me how you put it together. notation and / or sequencer.

It is a great arrangement but I think you could improve it with proper use of the cc's.

My Best

Hi, Marc

Yeah, that really Is a nice arrangement! When you say "...I did this rendering of Keith Mansfield's arrangement..." does that mean you had the charts and input the notes via a notation program?

Ray's reply mentioning the use of MIDI ccs is important and to the point. Generally in this recording, volumes don't vary on held notes--needing cc1 work. And the Trumpet and other soloists don't sound like they've had cc64 applied--the important natural sound of legato isn't happening the way it needs to--The attack of each note is being heard. And I'm not hearing vibrato on held notes--The Trumpet REEally needs it. It sounds odd for those long sustained notes to be completely devoid of modulation.

I feel that pulling back the drums, at least the kick, would also help this emulation.

Tell us more about how you went about doing this? I think it was with notation, in which case notation users could give you more tips about inserting more cc info.

But it Is a fabulous arrangement and well worth working on.

Randy B.

Thanks for your comments guys; good points all. I did do this starting with notation, then went in and did some further work in a sequencer. As I said, I'm learning about these libraries, and I realize I could do more on the controllers to get a better sound. I did use a lot of markings in the notation to try to get more realistic dynamics. I felt it worked well for the lead trumpet, and parts of the sax soli, but for other places for some reason it didn't come across as well, and I tried to work those in the sequencer. I'll spend some more time with it to try to improve it.

Thanks again!

By the way, I had a lot of trouble with the drums. I couldn't hear them at all, then when I pulled them up, the kick is A LOT louder then everything else. The cymbals are so quiet it is almost impossible to get them so they can be heard at all. I really didn't want to have to go in and do each drum sound individually, but I guess I'll have to if I wnat to make this work.

Also, on the lead trumpet I didn't do a lot of vibrato or anything, because Maynard didn't really play that way, as I recall. Now that you mention it, though, I'll have to go back and listen to this tune again and see.

Thank you.

It's a great arrangement and a great sound. I felt it didn't really all gel together until about the 13th measure. Also I agree with the other guys about the CC work. This is something I need to work on too so I'm not holding myself up as a good example! I though the drums/percussion were particularly good. Enjoyed your work SaxMarc.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Wilton, NH

A great arrangement. As background it works fine as it is but when I listen a little more closely I start hearing all of the things that Randy talked about. Overall it sounds good, but I’m sure you can add a little more life to it, particularly the trumpet solo.
    Trent P. McDonald

SaxMarc, getting the hang of working with JABB is no easy
    task, I'll tell you -- but you're definitely heading along the
    path with good speed. I can hear you struggling, as you
    note, with some aspects of it -- but you're also getting quite
    a lot of the tougher parts down straight. Keep it coming!

My best,

Go Back to forum