• Register
  • Help

Topic: External USB 2/Firewire Card and Hard Drive Questions

Share/Bookmark

External USB 2/Firewire Card and Hard Drive Questions

I have a Dell 8300 with with Pentium 4 3.0 gh, and 4 mg ram with two internal IDE hard drives. It is pretty solid, though, of course, I have to bounce down and do submixes, as you would expect.

I want to add an external drive to accomodate EWQL Gold Bundle and some other libraries. I currently only have USB 1 ports. I think I have some PCI slots available.

So, I was thinking of purchasing either a Firewire Card or a USB 2 card to attach to one of my open PCI slots and purchase either a USB 2 drive or a Firewire drive (maybe 500 or possibly 750 mgs)

Can anyone give me advice on:

(1) whether to go the Firewire or USB 2 route?

(2) Any suggestions on particular cards?

(3) Any suggestions on particular USB/Firewire drives?

Of course, any thoughts on "what to avoid" or any other insights are always appreciated.

As always, thanks in advance.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Re: External USB 2/Firewire Card and Hard Drive Questions

I would rather do an Internal IDE Drive, less chance of problems, but if you're stuck on doing firewire then:

Firewire 2
    ............ and make sure the chipset on the card is by Texas Instruments.

Re: External USB 2/Firewire Card and Hard Drive Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    I would rather do an Internal IDE Drive, less chance of problems, but if you're stuck on doing firewire then:

Firewire 2
    ............ and make sure the chipset on the card is by Texas Instruments.
    Well, do you think I have the option of getting a card that converts PCI to IDE? It looks like there is an extra bay to ad another drive (but not an extra IDE port).

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Go Back to forum