• Register
  • Help

Topic: No sound unless I nudge mod-wheel EVERY playback.

Share/Bookmark

No sound unless I nudge mod-wheel EVERY playback.

I have a score where no HP is applied. For playback I have to keep nudging the mod-wheel to get any sound, particularly on the solo violin. I have to do this EVERY time before playback.

Is there a setting somewhere where I don't have to keep doing this?

Many thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: No sound unless I nudge mod-wheel EVERY playback.

If you don't use HP, put an Expression with CC#1 playback style at the beginning of the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    If you don't use HP, put an Expression with CC#1 playback style at the beginning of the staff.
    Thanks Nickie.

Nickie, am I right in saying that if I don't use HP in any of my scores it won't matter whether I use the Notation Instruments set or the standard set in GPO and JABB?

If there's more to it than that, should I, therefore, always use the Notation set when using Finale? I've never been fully clear on exactly the whys and wherefores of the Notation set and the standard set.
    Michael

Michael, I'm glad you asked the second question about the whys and wherefores about using the Notation version of instruments as opposed to the regular ones.

I don't use a notation program, but that very question came up for me this morning when I was looking through the posts from notation users trying to puzzle things out.

I'd like to better understand these various challenges notation users have to deal with, so I hope that a helpful notation user like Nickie explains this instrument version question for us.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Michael, I'm glad you asked the second question about the whys and wherefores about using the Notation version of instruments as opposed to the regular ones.

I don't use a notation program, but that very question came up for me this morning when I was looking through the posts from notation users trying to puzzle things out.

I'd like to better understand these various challenges notation users have to deal with, so I hope that a helpful notation user like Nickie explains this instrument version question for us.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hello Randy, I hope your preparations are going well for your well-earned opportunity with your show.

Well, at least that's two of us awaiting on Nickie's words here. I've been asked about this a few times as well but I've never fully known the answer. I expect there are a few of us in the forum, non notation users and users alike, who would like to understand the differences between the two sets of instruments.
    Michael

Hi, Michael - Thanks so much for the well wishes on the production!

Yes, re: the special notation version of instruments, I've felt like I was getting the picture from reading posts here and there, but I realize I'm still not really sure what the deal is. I think it has to do with the notation versions being programmed to respond to the inserted commands in a score more consistently with what users intend.

Hopefully, we'll find out for sure.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Ah! Thank you much, Tom. As I read your explanations, they were all coming back to me as things I've read--they just haven't stuck with me since I don't deal with the notation versions. Having the keyswitches in the same place would be a nice steamlining of the main instruments too, I'm constantly banging around to find them.

Thanks.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Nickie, am I right in saying that if I don't use HP in any of my scores it won't matter whether I use the Notation Instruments set or the standard set in GPO and JABB?
    Hi Michael,
    Yes, you are right. And yet ...

I couldn't have explained the difference better that Tom. The position of KeySwitches and Legato CC#64/68 are the main generic differences. There are other instrument specific differences regarding KeySwitches and Sampled Rolls, f.ex. You will have to check those out for each instrument in question.

If you want to create your own set of KeySwitch Expressions, you may find it convenient to use the Notatin set, because all its KeySwitches are in the same octave (MIDI note#0 to MIDI note#11). With the Regular set you would have to create a set of Expressions for each instrument.

Thanks Tom and Nickie for your explanations.

I'll read these over a few times and get the hang of it.
    Michael

Go Back to forum