• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The VSL of Drums

Share/Bookmark

The VSL of Drums

I think this new set coming out will be the VSL of drums....I know it was mentioned up here a few weeks back. Now there are some video downloads on the site to show how it works, etc, and I'm totally knocked out. Great sounds and unbelievable flexibility, without having to render to disk as in Superior. The link is here...

http://www.MIXOSAURUS.com

Love the idea of buying the library on the hard drive, all ready to go!

Tom
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Re: The VSL of Drums

Cymbals sound great but the snare sounds are terrible. Tubby sounding.

There are 8,000,000 snare sounds in the world and each is a matter of taste...I think this kit sets new standards...

TH
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman
    There are 8,000,000 snare sounds in the world and each is a matter of taste...I think this kit sets new standards...

TH
    I think it sounds great, but other libraries sound great too. I'm not hearing anything to tear me away from LSD or EZDrummer yet. In addition, it's over $800 USD (519 Euro without VAT). Sorry, it woud have to be much better than anything out there. Very nice, but nothing new IMO.

Also, it's a 122GB library (for one kit?) Any idea how much RAM that will take to load?

They give absolutely no indication of RAM requirements except this blurb from the manual:
    The total amount of sample RAM used by a Multi is shown in the Main Control Panel. In many configurations,
    it is not possible to use more than a total of roughly 1.1 GB of RAM for Kontakt Player 2 samples.
    This limit will be valid regardless of how much RAM you have installed, and regardless of how many
    instances of Kontakt Player 2 you use or if you use it standalone and as a plugin at the same time. The
    total sample RAM of all simultaneously running instances cannot exceed that limit.
    However, don’t blame Kontakt Player 2 alone (its powerful engine only made MIXOSAURUS DAW Drums
    possible) – today’s operating systems have allocation limits as well. It seems that MIXOSAURUS DAW
    Drums simply are designed too uncompromising for today’s standards ...
    I don't want to come across too negative on this, but it seems the library's "uncompomising" nature requires quite a bit of compromising on the user's part.

The snares sound fine here on mackie hr824s.
    The are warm but nothing near tubby.
    If they needed to be thinned out a bit a slight amount of eq could take all of the warmth out of them.

Wow,

Do you have an idea of what it means to record and edit 80.000 samples?
    If one editor can edit 200-300 samples a day, thats quite fast.
    These guys have my full respect.

In the videos it shows 12 voices for the kick and up to 30 voices for one tom.
    Nice concept but I guess a hard job for todays computers.
    Surely a great investment into the future.

I have to get this.

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

There's nothing out there with the power of this setup...the ability to make these drums sound endlessly different (see the video on the level and panning controls) is unheard of. I can't wait!

Tom

Demos sound good. I am not sure if it is leagues ahead of EZ drummer and the likes, I guess time will tell. Much more expensive and takes alot of drive space for sure.
    www.energiestudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein
    Wow,

Do you have an idea of what it means to record and edit 80.000 samples?
    If one editor can edit 200-300 samples a day, thats quite fast.
    These guys have my full respect.

In the videos it shows 12 voices for the kick and up to 30 voices for one tom.
    Nice concept but I guess a hard job for todays computers.
    Surely a great investment into the future.

I have to get this.

Chris Hein
    Oops,

I have heard about a new Lib of sampled horns with over 100.000 Samples per note..... , all controlled by impression density .....
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by Crossingsound
    Demos sound good. I am not sure if it is leagues ahead of EZ drummer and the likes, I guess time will tell. Much more expensive and takes alot of drive space for sure.
    Comes on it's own drive.

TH

Go Back to forum