• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Studio does not recognize new KP2 files

Share/Bookmark

GPO Studio does not recognize new KP2 files

Hello All!,
    This is my first post.I just installed the Kontakt Player update for the player that comes with GPO & GPO Studio. The problem I am having is that the old GPO Studio player does not recognize the newer generated Kontakt files. So how do I get the new Kontakt Player to open (or even work)as default when I open the Studio to run the notation I've done in Overture? Thanks!

Re: GPO Studio does not recognize new KP2 files

Hi Ode2Ravel and welcome!

KP2 and Studio don't work together. However, you can use MIDI Yoke, a utility that creates virtual midi ports much like Studio, as a bridge between your notation prog and the Kontakt Player 2 standalone to produce the same result. You can add a reverb or convolution effect to the output channel to get the reverb Studio's built-in Ambience reverb provided.

Hi, Ode2Ravel

Reegs has given you the answer for getting what you want - But something else I see over and over on the Forums is that with KP2 there's really no need to use the Studio, because now just as many instruments can be loaded in KP2 as in Studio.

I am still waiting before changing to KP2, and don't use notation, so have no need for GPO Studio--that's why I'm not positive about all the details.

Isn't that right, Reegs--someone?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Studio was designed as a VST host for people running notation programs that traditionally output general midi (GM). The GPO Studio Ports 1 through 8 served as a bridge between two midi applications (virtual midi cables). By selecting GPO Studio as the output port instead of General MIDI, the notation program outputs the midi data on a path where the Studio application can intercept it, sending it to the loaded instances of GPO or JABB instead of to the General MIDI driver. Voila!--Garritan playback of scores created in programs without an ability to host VST, DX, RTAS, or AU plugins. And as icing on the cake there is a reverb plugin (ambience) built-in to the output chain.

The reason why Studio is becoming obsolete is because of the integration of Kontakt Player 2 (and hence GPO) with these notation programs. Finale has had its built-in NI player since 2006, albeit in slightly evolving flavors. Sibelius has now added full VST support. Overture 4 has had it since its release several years ago. The tighter integration also gives better Human Playback and livelier renderings. KP2 supports adding its own set of effects prior to output, including convolution reverb, allowing it to fulfill all of Studio's functions, with the added bonus of being able to host many libraries simultaneously (JABB, GPO, Strad, Gofriller, A.I.R., Chris Hein Guitars, etc.)

Randy, you are correct about the number of instruments loadable. And since you use Sonar, which comes with VST and DX support, you will not have a need for using Studio with it.

Reegs

Hi, Reegs - Thanks for the post. So, in other words, Ode2Ravel doesn't need to bother with using MIDI Yoke to integrate GPO Studio - he should just be using KP2 - Right?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Ode, if you're running Overture 3.5 SE that came bundled with GPO, you'll need MIDI Yoke.

Not sure about Overture 4 SE. Is there a VST menu of sorts?

If you're running Overture 4 (~$300) you should be able to select KP2 as a synth in the VST menu of Overture.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Reegs - Thanks for the post. So, in other words, Ode2Ravel doesn't need to bother with using MIDI Yoke to integrate GPO Studio - he should just be using KP2 - Right?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Not quite. Let me summarize this way.

Notation Program (non VST) -> Garritan Studio (hosts KP1 versions of GPO & JABB)
    - or -
    Notation Program (non VST) -> MIDI Yoke -> KP2 Standalone (Hosts all KP2 libs)

Thanks everybody for the help!
    I only have Overture 3.6.1. I downloaded the demo of 4.0.(eh) The main reason I wanted to try to get the newer patches working on my Overtures scores is that I'm putting my member name's "String Quartet In F" in an Overture score form so I can hear each part individually or in groups and study it. I came to a problem with the old patches when I got to the "A" section of the "Quartet" and noticed bowed tremolos. There are no bowed tremolos on the old patches. The new patches have a tremolo type effect when you let go of the key(it's too bad there isn't a bowed tremolo like the section strings in the solo strings) and the ranges on (Kontakt 2) don't really cover the ranges of the "Quartet In F"....any ideas? Thanks again

Go Back to forum