• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Look To The Summer Rain

Share/Bookmark

Look To The Summer Rain

Here's a little JaBB piece I did this week. It was raining and I came up with this:

Look To The Summer Rain
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Look To The Summer Rain

Hello, Rich

Really nice sounding JABB piece! It has a good, strong presence. Those drums are smooth but muscular, sounding great to me.

Trumpet in the first section is over-powering the Flute which is carrying the melody. I think pulling the Trumpet back would have it as the supporting instrument you intend here.

Nice Sax! - Ah, the Clarinet's lead is much appreciated--again the Trumpet's comments seem out of balance with the lead line.

Ah--the second time through just ended. I wanted more! -It's a good length though, with a constantly interesting shifting of its arrangement as the various instruments step into the spotlight.

I just feel you could take another listen and see if you want to pull back the Trumpet.

Good going!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

It's a great little piece. The trumpet seems so far right and so dry that it sounds disconnected from the rest of the players. Apart from that I love the mellow summer atmosphere you've created.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Pretty sweet melody! And cool rhythms...

Long

Quote Originally Posted by LHong
    Pretty sweet melody! And cool rhythms...

Long
    Agree 100%!

Very nice composing!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Very enjoyable. I found myself unconsciously tapping to the beat and swaying to the rhythm….

Hey Randy – As a trumpet player I can tell you that trumpet players only know 2 volumes – loud and louder. Rich was looking for realism here…. The only problem is that one didn't take it up an octave just to prove he could...
    Trent P. McDonald

hehe-Hi, Trent - I remember that "loud and louder" quote about Trumpet players. I Do know what you mean.

And that's where mixing comes in. Unlike a live performance where a Trumpet player, or other musician, may not quite bend to the concept of ensemble playing, when we're recording something, we have control over levels to be sure that the instruments carrying the melody dominate when they should.

You I really like your tune, Rich. I just feel you could balance things out better so the melodic structure stands out more.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

First of all, thanks to all of you (rbowser,diligamus,LHong,and germancomponist) for listening. Randy and Trent are correct. A long day and old ears let the brass players get the best of me.

My brother plays trumpet and always says the saxes and clarinets always get mixed hot and the trumpets have to fen for themselves. (well maybe not exactly in those words ) But I wanted him to here the trumpets scream. After listening to your comments, I agree they were covering what I had done with a nice little melody. I hope you re-listen as I have replaced the original with an update that hope fixes the "loud is good and louder is best" syndrome.

Again thanks for the nice comments and please listen again!

Rich

Sorry Trent, I forgot to thank you for listening. I got rapt up in trumpet issue.

Thanks for your comments.

Rich

I think the link to my piece was broken when I updated it so here is the new link to it:

Look To The Summer Rain

I would change the first link in my initial thread comment except I don't know how.

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast