• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: An American Romance

Share/Bookmark

An American Romance

An American Romance is my latest tune. It's mostly GPO and string bass, guitar and accordion from JABB.

This is basically straight forward pop music, I think.

I want to dedicate this song to Dianne for Brian and everyone who knew and loved her.

http://www.box.net/shared/s9kmtek957

Re: An American Romance

Philip,

You capture the straightforward pop-song genre well; all the gestures fit together nicely. I have only one small criticism, and that is the hook/intro - it seems to suggest something bluesy/Ray Charles-ish, but then goes in a totally different direction (at least for me). I know that hooks often are contrary to the rest of the song, but the earnestness of this tune wouldn't seem to need it. Just a thought... Still, this is a very nice piece, and as I said, really captures the style beautifully.

All the best,

p.s. - I've been in Shelton (originally from Seattle)
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Very nicely done. Are there lyrics for this or is it meant to be an instrumental?

I agree with Ron – the intro sounds a little out of place. It has a great blues feel to it which never really returns. If there was a section of the blues in the middle or maybe at the end it would fit in better. Anyway, just me opinion.
    Trent P. McDonald

Philip,
    Cool aggressive Chords (Guitar), it brings me back in the early 70’s and 80’s Pop kind of songs!
    Nice works!

Long

Philip,

a nice melody you have written! I enjoyed it!

The changes from Intro into the fallowing..., and then returning back and doing again..., very cool!

My Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Very nice melody and really enjoyable. I liked the various changes in the orchestration, and I felt they worked together nicely. Thank you for sharing this.

Thanks for the comments rpearl.

We'll, I wasn't trying to make it too easy to listen to so I started it off with a little bit of Frank Sinatra's One For The Road and then a little touch of Gershwin and then some blues. So it's sort of a little splash of past pop romanticism.

Shelton is struggling with growing pains right now. I know someone who just moved to a quieter part of town because of urban noise pollution. Also someone plans on building 900 houses in that area.

Thanks for the positive post trentpmcd.

This is intended to be an instrumental tune. I appreciate your ideas.

I'm glad you liked it Long. I'm planning on buying a Martin D-15 for some aggressive strumming.

Gunther, I'm happy you see a connection with the beginning and the end. The beginng is a little coy about romance and by the end there is no going back. There may even have been a little bonding going on.

Thank you Saxmarc. I also hope my cousin Brian will enjoy it and also find some comfort in it.

Phil

That's a pretty tune, Mr. Phil. Nice job.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hello, Phil

I have to say right off that we don't get nearly enough Fastlane music in here.

It's a very pretty well produced song you've written, and I liked the recording too. A bit more reverb would fit the style very nicely.

I don't know of the woman to whose memory you've dedicated this, but I can hear what a thoughtful glowing tribute it is.

Thanks much, Phil.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

phillip, I like this alot. I like the vibrato that you used on the flute. What did you use for the vibrato effect?
    -Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast