• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sea of Galilee

Share/Bookmark

Sea of Galilee

On the feedback I received for my last post some of my kind mentors here suggested I work on dynamics. So that's what I'm doing with this new one.

All the pieces in this series are designed to fade into silence to introduce a meditation. This limits the amounts of dynamics I can include. I want the music to remain calming -- no ppp interrupted by cannons! An extra consideration is that it has to start at the highest volume it'll ever reach, so that people don't turn it on, adjust the volume, and then find it keeps getting louder and louder. Also, I want the music to be interesting for 1'00" or so, to draw listeners' attention away from their everyday concerns, but it should then intentionally become a bit repetitive, so that the listener settles into silence rather than wanting to hear more music.

So that's the set of parameters I'm working with.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=705642

It's the one called Sea of Galilee.

Do you think it's achieving its intended goals? Is there anything you'd change if you were the one working on this piece?
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Re: Sea of Galilee

D,

Very contemplative, indeed! The only thing I would add is perhaps a lighter attack at the beginnings of phrases - sometimes the first pitches were too aggressive (for this context). It's hard to achieve that effect, but I see you are working with Sonar, so you have the tools.

My criticism aside, this is a very nice piece.
    Thanks for posting it!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

French horns almost always have pitch bend between many of their notes. Without any pitchbends in horns and strings,,, it will be difficult to get away from the keyboard sampled sound.

Nice work though!
    Dan

Thanks for taking a listen to it, Ron and Dan. I think I can change the aggressiveness of the strings attack by simply reducing the "velocity" of the MIDI notes. Pitch bend I'll have to look into as I've never investigated that one before.

Hi, Diligamus

Yes, I certainly think you've achieved your goals with this. It's a very pretty piece of music, and even its brief time span, managed to have several pleasant musical surprises in it.

It was great that you outlined exactly what the parameters are for you when you work on these prelude-to-meditation pieces. I remember there was some slight confusion before, at least from me, with the intended purpose not quite being understood. You've made it very clear this time, that's helpful.

I'll agree with the note on the attacks of the strings phrases. Lowering the velocities on those notes will get the smoother sound I think you'd prefer for this.

Pitch Bend is an essential tool for working in the MIDI realm, as DPDAN helpfully pointed out. I'm not sure you'd want to do a lot of that in a piece like this, done for the purposes you've outlined--but PB is a basic tool for breathing more natural life into samples and synths.

Very nice work, thanks for the listen.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks, Randy. I figured out how to work the pitch wheel in Sonar. Mainly I'm using the pitch bend on the French horn. I also tried some VAR1 and VAR2. In one or two places I may have overdone it, which makes it sound like the horn player isn't quite as good as the other musicians, and sometimes has difficulty hitting the right notes!

Diligamus, I think this is very nice. It has a calm sound to it. I found it very relaxing to listen to.
    _jay

The first 14 seconds of this had me hooked! That ascending flute divisi run is the stuff of dreams. And overall I really like how you've kept a healthy balance between simple tonality and dissonance so that at the moment one would perhaps mentally start to grow bored with one, the other becomes more prominent.

Just a bit of minor cleanup to suggest, since I sense that you're interested in fine-tuning these pieces as much as possible: the violin really needs some natural diminuendo on its trailing notes. For example, the last note of the phrase beginning at 0:39 is held out very long and very loud, to the point where it interferes with the answering flutes. However, when a variation of the theme is repeated at 0:48, the last note fades out in a very accomodating way. Of course, that's because in the latter case it becomes a sustained tone for a few measures (which is in itself a very satisfying shift!) but I think a happy balance can be struck between those two contrasts.

Enjoying these very much.
    in Christ,
    -Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Thanks Jay and Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by suspenlute
    For example, the last note of the phrase beginning at 0:39 is held out very long and very loud, to the point where it interferes with the answering flutes. However, when a variation of the theme is repeated at 0:48, the last note fades out in a very accomodating way.
    Aah! I see what you mean. Thanks for giving it so close a listen -- that was something I totally overlooked. I am learning more with each of these pieces I do though. It's very educational.

I always found this sort of engineered-and-programmed music
    (that is, the writing restricted by a variety of technical
    requirements) difficult to do, diligamus -- but I'd say you're
    doing a good job with these, designing and building them
    well toward meeting the use goals. Not only that, but you've
    got some fine writing in them, too; nice string work in this!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast