• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bagatelle, Prelude and Fugue

Share/Bookmark

Bagatelle, Prelude and Fugue

Hi,

The Bagatelle (3 fragments) uses a Yamaha CLP 50 as its sound source.

The Prelude and Fugue uses the Garritan Steinway.

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showband.asp?id=12750

I recently installed the KP2 for GPO, but haven't tried to use it yet. (I also installed Sonar). Is there a manual, or any sort of documentation on the KP2 ? I initially botched the installation by not copying the libarary FIRST to the new location, and then assigning that location during the installation. I had to reinstall everything in order to continue to use KP1 with Studio.

I started to install KP2 for JABB (or GJBB), but found when it came to locating the library, it didn't give the option of specifying a different location from the default location of KP1, so I aborted the installation. I guess a workaround would be to change the location of the JABB library for KP1 before installing KP2, but I haven't tried that yet.

I hope you like the music.

Regards,

Jack

Re: Bagatelle, Prelude and Fugue

These are beautiful pieces. I thoroughly enjoyed them. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Thank you very much, Louis.

I was a bit hesitant to put them on, as I felt they were perhaps too unusual, so I really appreciate your comment.

Best regards,

Jack

Hi, Jack

I'm really glad I located the download link on that "Unsigned" site, because its player doesn't work for me, for some reason. Downloaded fine though, and then I had a very good time hearing this urgent piece--or is it more properly, pieceS?

Why did you use the Yamaha on the first segment? It sounds OK, but doesn't compare with the Steinway used on the rest of it--Is that because it's an older recording? Couldn't you re-record or re-render this all with one instrument?

It seemed devoid of reverb--a choice? I just wanted to get out from under the piano lid where I felt like I was trapped.

And one final question--the velocities seemed at a constant high value. Another purposeful choice to keep up the stridency?

By the way, "...I was a bit hesitant to put them on, as I felt they were perhaps too unusual..." Too unusual for around here? Lol--I don't think so. But here's a bit of irony for you--at first I was hesitant to put up some of my work because it can be so melody-oriented, and so I was concerned it wasn't "modern" enough. See what we do to ourselves? Uncertain of being welcome - Well, I think we can see that all styles of music can be embraced on these Northern Sounds Forums.

Thanks--I liked this a lot.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Randy,

Thanks for listening, and for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-

I'm really glad I located the download link on that "Unsigned" site, because its player doesn't work for me, for some reason. Downloaded fine though, and then I had a very good time hearing this urgent piece--or is it more properly, pieceS?
    I don't know why there's a problem using that player. They give you an option of 2 players - that one is apparently a Windows Media Player, and the other is a Flash Player. However, the Flash Player is indicated as having certain limitations, so I selected this one. It is pieces. The three fragments, which I call Bagatelle, were originally intended as part of a group of 7 short (some very short) pieces, but that's as far as I got.

Why did you use the Yamaha on the first segment? It sounds OK, but doesn't compare with the Steinway used on the rest of it--Is that because it's an older recording? Couldn't you re-record or re-render this all with one instrument?
    It is an older recording. I could have easily re-recorded, but I guess I was just lazy.

It seemed devoid of reverb--a choice? I just wanted to get out from under the piano lid where I felt like I was trapped.
    For sure there was no reverb on the Yamaha - I always recorded it right off the piano. I'm not sure whether I used any reverb with the Garritan - if I did, it was probably just the 'Parlor' preset.

And one final question--the velocities seemed at a constant high value. Another purposeful choice to keep up the stridency?
    No. I think there is some variation in the velocities. Some of it is intended to be very loud. Perhaps, there could be more variation than I used.

By the way, "...I was a bit hesitant to put them on, as I felt they were perhaps too unusual..." Too unusual for around here? Lol--I don't think so. But here's a bit of irony for you--at first I was hesitant to put up some of my work because it can be so melody-oriented, and so I was concerned it wasn't "modern" enough. See what we do to ourselves? Uncertain of being welcome - Well, I think we can see that all styles of music can be embraced on these Northern Sounds Forums.
    I blow hot and cold on most of my music.

Thanks--I liked this a lot.
    Thanks, Randy.

Best Regards,

Jack

Hello again, Jack

When I visit that site, like on your page with this piece, I'm not seeing two choices of players--just one, and it doesn't work on my system. But it's not a problem really, one just has to look for and use the Download option.

Thanks for the further detail on the genesis of these pieces.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Jack, I think I'd redo that first movement with the Steinway;
    the Yamaha really sounds out of place, there. This is terse,
    tight harmonic work; and that pop sound doesn't make it,
    to me.

Other than that, an interesting, engaging set... especially
    liked that fugue!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com