• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My First Attempt with GPO

My First Attempt with GPO

Hi all

I have just put my first attempt with GPO (and some vocal soundfonts) on MySpace and showcaseyourmusic. It is fairly basic, but a pretty tune

The piece is called Peaceful

Any feedback would be gratefully received

Thank you

Re: My First Attempt with GPO

Welcome to the world of GPO. I thought the piano should be louder and brighter, and the choir quieter so that they just add atmosphere in the background.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Hi Paul and welcome!

This is an enjoyable calming piece. (The title was very appropriate!) Personally, I feel the vocal sf2 detracts a bit from the song--perhaps an oboe would be more appropriate and blend a little better? You've done very good work with the modwheel on the trumpet track.

End mix is sounding good on headphones. Not too wet.

The volume could be set higher. Over all this is a very beautiful compositions. I love the heavenly choir effect. This i a piece worthy of considerable merit. Very haunting melody when the choir comes in.
    Samantha Penigar

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Shelton, Washington State

It's pretty music.

You might think about eventually investing in a library with choral sounds. The Sf2 are ok but you get what you pay for.

Over all it could probably use some smoothing out sound wise but I enjoyed it.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Samantha: I agree with your comment about the volume. It was the first thing I wrote down when I eventually got to hear it over speakers (I compose and mix on headphones due to the constraint of neighbours)

Reegs: An oboe taking the lead sounds an excellent idea and certainly one I will experiment with.

Phil: Could you reccommend some good choral software? I have no doubt there are some good libraries on the market.

Thank you all again

I enjoyed this piece quite a bit. A lot of nice changes in there and I agree about the nice job with the trumpets. The choir works fairly well (from a realism perspective, from a compositional perspective it works great!) except on the one long sustained note it sounds a little less than real; I could certainly picture a real female voice singing that nice note. Good job.
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

A really good start with GPO. Also, agree with the volume increase recommended.

I can tell you are having a lot of fun with this great program. Please listen to other demos and keep writing. Enjoyed your piece and hope you will post some more soon.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Congratulations on getting your first GPO piece out there. I realy liked the trumpet too. I would be interested in the oboe idea expressed above, but I would hope it doesn't interfere with the trumpet coming in...

Thanks for sharing.

I have taken your comments on board and reworked "Peaceful" a little - more volume and brighter piano. I have not experimented with the oboe replacing the vocal solo yet (a job for the future).

I have added a small amount of distortion to the strings and brass to emphasise the bows and rasps (distortion is not only the realm of guitarists )

I have also moved some of the instruments in the stereo image and adjusted the individual reverb amounts to (hopefully) give a better spacial image.

I would welcome any comments and critisisms

Thank you

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast