• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano Version of My Challenge 13 Entry....

Share/Bookmark

Piano Version of My Challenge 13 Entry....

I hope you are not all sick of the subject by now…. I had a lot of fun writing a piece for Challenge 13 (see thread). The piece I came up (my challenge 13 entry) did fairly well but didn’t win (congrats to the composer of # 7).

I originally wrote my piece for piano. I have been writing a lot for piano the last few years. My entry for Challenge 12 was my first attempt at large-scale orchestration since I completed my St. George and the Dragon back in 2004. My Challenge 13 entry was my third attempt at orchestration.

As I stated before, I decided to write Challenge 13 on the piano first. As I was writing I was thinking of how the orchestration would go, but it was still written as a piano piece.

When I orchestrated it I made a few small changes. The biggest change was the addition of a few measures to the beginning and a few to the end to balance the ones at the beginning.

I played the piano piece for some people and they liked it better than the orchestra version.

Here is the piano version.

So, after way too many words, what do you think? Is the piano version better or do you like the orchestra version?
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Piano Version of My Challenge 13 Entry....

You won for me Trent, by a country mile, but!

Why post this piano version. Your challenge piece was magnificently orchestrated.

Your score and your recording was great.

Ray

(a JABB lover but not swayed by genre).

I like both versions, the orchestrated one was orchestrated very well. Since I worked from a piano version also, I find the piano version cleaner. Both have merit and stand well. These challenges are less contest and more self-challenges to explore not only Garritan's wonderful samples, but your own ability to generate the ideas in a larger ensemble. It's really a great teaching/learning tool. I wonder if some college will get on the wagon and use this forum for such a teaching aid.

Nice work Trent
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

well, I happen to like this version slightly better... lots of dynamics... great work anyway, Trent

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    You won for me Trent, by a country mile, but!

Why post this piano version. Your challenge piece was magnificently orchestrated.

Your score and your recording was great.

Ray

(a JABB lover but not swayed by genre).
    Thanks the nice words Ray.

As to why I posted the piano version… I guess because I was planning to all along.

Shortly after I finished the orchestration I played both versions for a few people and they all liked the piano better. The challenge hadn’t been posted yet so I had no feedback except the opinions of these few people. I thought “if the piano version is better, maybe I need to post it when it is all done.” I then changed it to “I will post if I don’t win.”

The vote was close, so I thought a lot about it.

It came down to the fact that I thought the piano version had something slightly different to say, or at least it was a bit clearer on what was happening, particularly in the second section. Now I’m beginning to have second thoughts on if I should have posted it or now… Oh well, too late, its there.

Thanks again for posting your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi, Trent

This is great--I'm So glad you went ahead and posted your original piano arrangement as you suggested doing on the Challenge thread.

Really juicy development of Roberto's difficult little theme. I've loved listening several times now to the "pure composition" of your original piano work on this.

It's not possible for me to say which I prefer, because it really is trying to compare two very different sonic experiences.

But, I think you did the right thing submitting the orchestral version for the Challenge event. That arrangement is enthralling, and makes for a very exciting listen. It's impressive, naturally enough, in a bigger way than what a solo piano can be.

Also, I remember awhile back there was a thread regarding solo piano pieces here in The Listening Room. A very active member said that he just never knows what to say about solo work, and I think he even said he wouldn't respond to them, because he was interested in hearing how people work with GPO/JABB and larger ensembles in general. He said he felt a solo piano work was just too simple for him to respond to. You probably would've lost his vote, and possibly those of other people who are most interested in full orchestration work.

In any case, you are clearly a "winner" with this arrangement. As far as the little contest goes, with a larger group of people voting, outcomes could have been different--or not. It doesn't really matter.

This is great--Thanks for putting it up!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Trent, this sounds very nice. You must have recorded this live. It has so much dynamics to it. Nice job.
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    I like both versions, the orchestrated one was orchestrated very well. Since I worked from a piano version also, I find the piano version cleaner. Both have merit and stand well. These challenges are less contest and more self-challenges to explore not only Garritan's wonderful samples, but your own ability to generate the ideas in a larger ensemble. It's really a great teaching/learning tool. I wonder if some college will get on the wagon and use this forum for such a teaching aid.

Nice work Trent
    Yes, these challenges are, well, challenges... I really enjoyed this one and got a lot out of it. And it is an orchestration challenge...

Anyway, thanks for the comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob
    well, I happen to like this version slightly better... lots of dynamics... great work anyway, Trent
    Thanks Roberto. And thanks for the intersting theme. This was the first time I played with that scale and had a lot of fun using it. I think I also learned a lot from it.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Trent

This is great--I'm So glad you went ahead and posted your original piano arrangement as you suggested doing on the Challenge thread.

Really juicy development of Roberto's difficult little theme. I've loved listening several times now to the "pure composition" of your original piano work on this.

It's not possible for me to say which I prefer, because it really is trying to compare two very different sonic experiences.

But, I think you did the right thing submitting the orchestral version for the Challenge event. That arrangement is enthralling, and makes for a very exciting listen. It's impressive, naturally enough, in a bigger way than what a solo piano can be.

Also, I remember awhile back there was a thread regarding solo piano pieces here in The Listening Room. A very active member said that he just never knows what to say about solo work, and I think he even said he wouldn't respond to them, because he was interested in hearing how people work with GPO/JABB and larger ensembles in general. He said he felt a solo piano work was just too simple for him to respond to. You probably would've lost his vote, and possibly those of other people who are most interested in full orchestration work.

In any case, you are clearly a "winner" with this arrangement. As far as the little contest goes, with a larger group of people voting, outcomes could have been different--or not. It doesn't really matter.

This is great--Thanks for putting it up!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Thanks for commenting Randy. I agree that there are a lot of differences between the two versions, which is one of the reasons I wanted to post it.

I never thought of submitting the piano version - I e-mailed the orchestrated version to Sean just before leaving on a week’s vacation and played it for the people I was vacationing with.

The opinion of some people about piano music being posted here really doesn’t bug me too much. I felt a little guilty because the vote was all the feedback I needed for this piece so I felt I was being greedy posting again. But then, it is a totally different thing I posted here…

Anyway, thanks again for your comments and congratulations on your latest challenge victory (for the first few days I was ahead.... )
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast