• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Film Composers isolation....

Share/Bookmark

Film Composers isolation....

Hi,
    i just finished working on a project that made me stay in my studio for 6 weeks almost all day long....i really had very little chance to go out and see somebody....now that the project is finished i really feel like i've been in Alactraz ..i mean very alienated !!! kind of difficult to get used to reality again!!!!! makes me think of people like elfman, howard, horner....how do they manage this total isolation??????

Re: Film Composers isolation....

One thing that is for sure: If you are doing film music and have a special other, devote him/her a high quality of attention in the time you are together since there is not much quantity left. Try to forget your plans and your projects for that time slot, ask, listen and try to put yourself into her/his shoes as good as you can ...
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

makes me think twice about taking on a feature-length gig. I can't imagine being almost completely isolated from my family/friends for 6 weeks!

I really appreciate that advice Hannes, thank you for those important words of wisdom!

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    Hi,
    i just finished working on a project that made me stay in my studio for 6 weeks almost all day long....i really had very little chance to go out and see somebody....now that the project is finished i really feel like i've been in Alactraz ..i mean very alienated !!! kind of difficult to get used to reality again!!!!! makes me think of people like elfman, howard, horner....how do they manage this total isolation??????
    hi, being a victim of a grave audio traumatism 12 years ago, i have spent most of mytime during the next 12 years in a total isolation, in my sofa in front of my computer because my hearing is now too sensitive and i can't go out anymore...
    6 weeks, and you become crazy ? LOL , imagine 12 years !!
    i still think that being a composer is one of the most beautiful job on earth.so you can fell very lucky...

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Prod
    i still think that being a composer is one of the most beautiful job on earth.so you can fell very lucky...
    Amen, brother!

Eh... I've always been isolated, with no extended phony social group, so it doesn't bother me. Guess I'm used to being alone.

Being a composer is a great job - but it is a lonely one. I spent many years as a live performer/songwriter/session player before re-tooling my skills
    about 13 years ago when I built my first studio. I tell friends that although I always worked in music - I went from the MOST sociable job in the world (live performance) to the LEAST sociable one! (composing for tv & film). Its the one
    complaint I have about the life of a composer. There's little to no contact with clients and now with ftp sites its even more isolating.
    However, that said, it can be a wonderfully rewarding career - just not for the faint of heart or the less than 100% dedicated.
    Make lots of friends outside the film music world, talk to your wife and kids
    as much as possible and enjoy life between contracts! (that is, if you're not in biz development mode!!)

The ultimate cure to my previous loneliness was meeting the greatest woman on Earth (IMHO)....my wife.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Good topic.

Seems it goes with the territory unfortunately..... But it's true there is something not very sane about it, I know that if it wasn't for the daily little things and playing baseball with my 5 year old I'd go nuts. Once I'm outdoors
    often forced out, I really appreciate the change. When we're so focussed on a score we can't think of anything else until the project is over. I've realized that and force myself to not become TOO focussed in front of my computer, it's not easy and it doesn't always work but it's good to be conscious of it.

So maybe I am lucky with composing under the week and live gigging at the weekends ... and should not consider changing that ...
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast