• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: AVOIDING THE END (Ray's Jazz Quintet)

AVOIDING THE END (Ray's Jazz Quintet)

Track #4

Re: AVOIDING THE END (Ray's Jazz Quintet)

And it's back to the Jazz project by Ray in Stirling.

This is my new fave--MMMMmm, such a nice swing to it, and your instruments are all sounding vibrant and so alive.

"Avoiding The End" - and then there's the pieces in your "Requiem" - are these themes connected I'm wondering?

Excellent use of JABB--Seems like there's been scant Jazz/Pop since I've been around here at Northern Sounds. I'm loving this stuff.

And nice to see a picture bigger than the teeny avatars we squint at here in the Listening Room.

Thanks for the smooth but energetic music, Ray. Great stuff.

Randy B.

Another nice one from Ray. I like jazz waltzes. A very good sound. Hopefully I can learn to blend my music the way you do.

This is very nice, Ray. A smooth Jazz Waltz is always a favorite of mine too. Your mixes are always tastefully done as is this one. Thanks. I enjoyed the listen!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Ditto what everybody else said - and that reverb sounds great. It really adds so much to the quality of the sound. How are you liking that flugelhorn as compared to the trumpets now?
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

That's amazing -- just five instruments but you get such an interesting sound. What a great track and great arrangement. And nice reverb to make it all gel together. Oops having read the other comments I see everyone else wants to congratulate you on your mixing and reverb too!
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Shelton, Washington State

Your getting a great sound here. I listened to it a few times and it grows on you. A nice tune.

I know little about drumming but the longer brush rolls didn't sound as real to me as the short rolls. It's like the samples are being cut off early and it creates a machine gun effect. I'm just guessing on this but I thought I would mention it.

The leads for this one are bloody awesome, very realistic work - and on such great solos plus a wonderfully organic blending of melodic lines too, I believe applause is in order. I think this is the first song of its type posted here that really got my head bopping, as I don't listen to this type of music as much as I did in high school and I don't think I have much of an ear for it anymore.

And yeah I said it already, but to make the trumpet and sax sound like such distinctly separate players full of personality and yet united by a common thread in the music, and absolutely not like some guy with a computer and a keyboard, that's just a work of pure skill.

P.S., I think you've really found the right combination of knobs and switches or what have you for the post-production on this one. I've had listening issues with a few earlier pieces I know but the accoustics of this one are spot on.

P.P.S.S., the title on the player's page still says Merinque Merengue.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Very nice Ray, Mr. Jazzman...., I like it!

Pleas allow me one question: As Randy is wondering too, why do you call your songs with this names?

I hope you are not ill!

My Best

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

My guess about the title is that it has to do with the structure of the tune itself. Listen again carefully, and notice that just when you'd think it would come to a cadence or resting point, it moves on to another section, thereby AVOIDING THE END.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast