• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Spectrasonics Praise and a whoopin

Share/Bookmark

Spectrasonics Praise and a whoopin

A whoopin for never responding to this email sent a couple of years ago. Praise because you guys write some of the best sounding VI's in the business.

Hey Guys

Just wanted to let you know I scored my first film called Payback Straight Up. (the director's cut for DVD) and Stylus / Trilogy were critically important components.

I really can't figure out where the music came from. Do you first create a melody, or does a groove inspire the melody? For me - often - stylus inspired melody.

I guess this is a letter of thanks to the spectrasonics team.

best

scott stambler

AND A COUPLE OF YEARS LATER - I'M KIDDING about the whoopin. But i do see this is a better place to send an email!
    Scott's homegrown website

http://www.scottydotcom.com/

Re: Spectrasonics Praise and a whoopin

Thanks and Congrats! :-)

We're a little better staffed now than a year ago, so apologies for your email not getting a reply.

Cheers!

spectrum

being a film fanatic, and very much into Stylus myself, I am honestly amazed at how often I hear what I think is stylus in newer films. Last night I watched The Contractor with Wesley Snipes and I am almost certain RMX was happening throughout. Good flick!
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.
    M. C. Escher

Quote Originally Posted by DrXparaMental
    being a film fanatic, and very much into Stylus myself, I am honestly amazed at how often I hear what I think is stylus in newer films. Last night I watched The Contractor with Wesley Snipes and I am almost certain RMX was happening throughout. Good flick!
    I have started a betty ford stylus intervention rehab clinic for those of us who need to be torn away from it for a couple of weeks.

Bloody hell Scott. You've got one hell of an IMDB listing.

Nice one!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Harvey
    Bloody hell Scott. You've got one hell of an IMDB listing.

Nice one!

Nick
    thanks nick. with enough time and some luck i've been involved in a few good films. (and some truly foul smelly stinkers)

I dunno Scott. It seems that it's all down to your skill and talent rather than luck. I just read the Director's Guild Magazine article about you (Oh! the wonders of Google) and it was really quite inspiring.

I think I'm a reasonable composer but I know I could learn an awful lot from you when it comes to creating the appropriate music to picture. You have a real gift!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Harvey
    I dunno Scott. It seems that it's all down to your skill and talent rather than luck. I just read the Director's Guild Magazine article about you (Oh! the wonders of Google) and it was really quite inspiring.

I think I'm a reasonable composer but I know I could learn an awful lot from you when it comes to creating the appropriate music to picture. You have a real gift!

Nick
    Nick, i listened to a bunch of your cues on your site. There are some really lovely pieces. I gravitated towards The Boy With Divine Powers. And as much as I'd like to imagine you could learn from me, I think not. The time I have spent in films working with some of the best composers music and creating temps from that music is probably where I gained any insight on how to build the emotions required to deliver some cinematic impact. BUT - i'm still learning and finding ways to work with those elements. AND, things have changed greatly in the last ten years or so. You don't find the BIG MUSICAL CINEMA moments from Lawrence of Arabia, or even the understated, yet powerful, cues in CHINATOWN. Now you have guys like Thom Newman writing some incredibly cool ~~~~ that blends with his films in that inexplicable organic way. (And I really gravitate toward that kind of film music; that which feels organic. Like the way Shawshank wraps itself around Morgan Freeman's V.O.) Anyway I appreciate your comments. My compositional career is quite young. I could learn from you.

best
    scott

Frankly, I am inspired immensely by BOTH of you. Here are two questions more so asked from the stand point of a complete layman who aspires to do film work, but honestly doesn't believe he has much of a chance based on the competition.

1) I have ZERO professional recognition. I have ZERO formal training & education with respect to having a degree in music. Although I have 30 years experience as a musician & a somewhat well developed ear as a result, I do not read or write music with respect to notation. Does that rule me out?

Please don't be afraid to answer this with the most brutal of convictions.

As I mentioned to you Scott, I truly enjoy film and watch a film just about every evening. Because of this thread at Northernsounds I have obtained the movie Payback and it's waiting at home to be viewed. I already saw it once and whereas the movies memory is a bit cold, I am quite eager to view/listen to it for it's sound track now that I know you scored it.

I wonder what Nick would recommend per his contributions? <hint>

2) With the exception of Stylus RMX, what would you both each say is your most useful & inspiring VSTI that you use frequently?
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.
    M. C. Escher

Hello everyone

I just became a member of this forum, and have 2 say that it's so great 2 see so many established musicians come 2 one place and share their ideas and thoughts about music and it's many faces
    Forgive me if I sound a little ignorant but I don't know much about stylus RMX. I only know all I can from Spectrasonics website, and the team that created the software.
    My question is, how much power does it drain from the CPU?

Thanks

Tyko

Go Back to forum