• Register
  • Help

Topic: Testing my GPO at a friends computer???

Share/Bookmark

Testing my GPO at a friends computer???

I have a friend who's impressed with GPO (having tested it at my place) and is considering buying it. He's concerned that his PC isn't up to par though so i was wondering how the policy is about GPO.
    Could i bring the DVD along to his place and install and test it on his PC?

I don't even know if it's possible to install on a different PC with my serial number, and if it is, if i'm allowed to do it. (I doubth it). I don't want to do it if it's not ok.
    I'll make sure to uninstall it before i leave, if it's a go.

He's got a P4 2.2, 512mb ram and a soundblaster live 1024. Not what i would wan't to run GPO on, but it might be doable.

I'm buying a new PC myself in a couple of months, and i might sell this rig to him then. So come autumn he might have a PC that can run it, so it's not that big a deal.

Thomas.

Re: Testing my GPO at a friends computer???

He's got a P4 2.2, 512mb ram and a soundblaster live 1024.

Yeah, he may get away with a few tracks or so but to really do it right one needs at least 1 gig ram. I think the P4 2.2 will be ok for now.
    Sounds like he has one heck of a friend you offering your system later on!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Tocca
    I have a friend who's impressed with GPO (having tested it at my place) and is considering buying it. He's concerned that his PC isn't up to par though so i was wondering how the policy is about GPO.
    Could i bring the DVD along to his place and install and test it on his PC?

I don't even know if it's possible to install on a different PC with my serial number, and if it is, if i'm allowed to do it. (I doubth it). I don't want to do it if it's not ok.
    I'll make sure to uninstall it before i leave, if it's a go.

He's got a P4 2.2, 512mb ram and a soundblaster live 1024. Not what i would wan't to run GPO on, but it might be doable.

I'm buying a new PC myself in a couple of months, and i might sell this rig to him then. So come autumn he might have a PC that can run it, so it's not that big a deal.

Thomas.
    You can find the minimum requirements to run GPO here:

http://www.garritan.com/GPO-features.html

I don't think 512 Mb RAM is enough. Also, Soundblaster are generally not advised for audio work; it does rather depend on how your friend will work. Either way it is far preferable, in my view, to fit a card specifically designed for audio work such as the M-Audio 2496 or the more expensive 192. I think people working solely with MIDI will feel that this is not so critical but it is a consideration.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thomas, as for your other question, whether it will work to install your copy of GPO on his computer - I've always thought that was impossible. Maybe I'm wrong--? But I don't that that works.

I worked with GPO on 512 RAM for quite awhile. When I upgraded to 1 gig, I only noticed a tiny bit of improvement. Sound Blaster though---he really should have a different card than that.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks for the replies, i'm pretty sure myself that the soundblaster is the "bottleneck" in his system (and maybe the RAM). I bought an M-Audio soundcard myself right after getting GPO (i ran GPO on my Soundblaster Live for a few days) and the difference between the cards was... well huge.
    For example, in one of my pianopieces i couldn't go above andante tempo because of the lag (the notes just blurred together) whereas i now can up it to whatever i want (it's supposed to be played allegro) faster than anyone could play atleast!

I'm sure he can wait until he gets a new PC (mine probably) before getting GPO, he's just impatient and wanted to know if his system could run it. If so he'll probably buy GPO tomorrow... or rather yesterday from what i could tell when he was here... LOL.

Thomas.

Thomas,
    It is legal and within Garritan's and Native Instruments' guidlines to install your licensed GPO on two different computers. (Isn't that nice?)
    In order for both to run, the second one will have to be registed as well.

It is clearly illegal for you to install "YOUR" GPO on a computer that is not owned by you and in your posession.

What many people would do (even though it goes against the printed copyright info in the GPO manual is this) ...
    They would install the second license on their friend's computer and one of two things will indeed happen.

1) If you register that installation on his computer, your two licenses will be used up, and when you get your new computer, YOU will have to buy another copy of GPO.

2) If you don't register it, he will be able to use it for 30 days, and then HE will have to buy GPO. I would NOT recommend registering HIS computer because you would be getting the bad deal.

Dan

You can always deactivate registrations as needed.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    2) If you don't register it, he will be able to use it for 30 days, and then HE will have to buy GPO. I would NOT recommend registering HIS computer because you would be getting the bad deal.

Dan
    Now when i read that i remember using GPO on a "trial basis" for a few days before i registrered. That would of course be a perfect solution for him, if he could try it out for a while. But is this a legal way to do it?
    In this case, if i install it on his PC and don't register there's no way for anyone to know that i've done it. So it's probably a "good way" to go about it. Otherwise, why make the program with this "30 day trial" function. But i just want to be sure it's ok before i go about it.

Considering the superb customer support i've experienced with Garritan, i want to make sure i do everything right.

Thomas.

Go Back to forum