• Register
  • Help

Topic: Drums in JABB

Share/Bookmark

Drums in JABB

I'm sure to start quite a controversy with this question, but here goes. What is a good way to set up a drum kit in Finale and JABB? I just acquired JABB and Finale 2008 (they're working great together, by the way) and I want to use the drum kits to the best advantage. I got everything working fine in the midi player that comes with Finale, but now I want to use JABB and possibly HP for playback. My big problem is drums!

Norm

Re: Drums in JABB

I'd start by looking the "Notation" folder for the GM drum kits.

I'll try to be a little more detailed in what I need. I have the following setup:

I'm using three Kontakt Players.

I have Alto on Channel 1
    Alto on Channel 2
    Tenor on Channel 3
    Tenor on Channel 4
    Bari on Channel 5
    Trpt on Channel 6
    Trpt on Channel 7
    Drums on Channel 10

I have Trpt on Channel 17
    Trpt on Channel 18
    Trbn on Channel 19
    Trbn on Channel 20
    Trbn on Channel 21
    Trbn on Channel 22
    Guitar on Channel 23
    Piano on Channel 24

and Bass of Channel 33

If I want to use say the snare drum from Classic Jazz Drums, the hi-hat from the Fusion Drum Kit, and the brush snare from the Brush Kit, how do I get them all into Kontakt, and then get them to play on the same midi channel?
    Am I making sense?

(A JABB newbie, but not a Finale newbie)
    Norm

Quote Originally Posted by NormJ

If I want to use say the snare drum from Classic Jazz Drums, the hi-hat from the Fusion Drum Kit, and the brush snare from the Brush Kit, how do I get them all into Kontakt, and then get them to play on the same midi channel?
    Am I making sense?

(A JABB newbie, but not a Finale newbie)
    Norm
    I do not know about Finale, but as a Sibelius (Sibelius 4) user I can tell you that we can not do that. In Sibelius I would have to have to have three staves for your example.

Currently my "normal" setup in Sibelius for the drum set is five staves, one each for Cymbals, Hi-Hat, Snare, Tom-toms, and Bass Drum. Each one of the above is load in a separate slot in the kontakt player. (I use one dedicated player just for the drum set.) all on their own channel.

To make the score "pretty" I create a sixth staff that "traditionally" notated, id est very little and set it to mute. The Five staves above are then hidden form view.

Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Go Back to forum