• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Guitar Quartet (JABB)

Share/Bookmark

Guitar Quartet (JABB)

Ok, here is something a little of the Demo page track. I've written a number of guitar quartets over the last few years, and until JABB, I had no legitimate way to post them. So, here is the first. I have some questions about getting the guitars to sound as they ought - I am not happy with what I have done so far, so please, any advice on reverb, velocity, EQ, please jump in. If you have any comments on the piece, well that's ok, too.

The title refers to the close imitation that pervades the piece - much overlapping, and if you listen through headphones, a lot of jumping around spatially.

Sorry, I can't remember how to make the title the link (where I never really know, so i can't say I forgot...).

La Caccia

http://homepage.mac.com/ronpearl/iMovieTheater25.html
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Re: Guitar Quartet (JABB)

Hi Ron,

a nice melody and arrangement!

So, if you are a guitar player, for more realistc sounding, perhaps you look here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=54783

My Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Wow, Ron - This is a wonderful composition. Sounded to me like it all involved things guitar players could actually accomplish, unlike some things I've done where I'm rather sure I haven't been authentic enough to what guitars are capable of.

You wanted feedback on the realization of this done with the JABB guitar. Well, #1 for me, and I am rather sure this won't be a big surprise to you--is that for me there was too much reverb. The guitars were sitting some distance away from me on a not-small stage.

I'm thinking of great classical guitar recordings where it sounds --well, the way acoustic guitars are actually recorded. You've seen the photo tutorials haven't you, where a mike on a boom is literally inches from the instrument? The mike is aimed at various places for various sounds, but always Very close. There'll be another mike in the room so the engineer can mix in some ambience, but the mix is done so that the guitar is close and intimate sounding.

So, for me, I think if you moved the instruments Much closer to us, you would be emulating pro recordings of acoustic guitars more accurately.

The link Gunther posted I don't think was apropos--that's a Forum thread about the Roland MIDI Guitar controller--that's for guitar players driving synth/sample instruments, so a guitarist can play a piano sound, flute sound--whatever they want.

The lead guitar in this recording of yours, on the 16th notes, was the most successful, because plucking individual notes is the easiest thing to have sound natural when playing a guitar sample. It was the chords which sounded less realistic, because they sounded close to simultaneously strummed--not quite, but almost.

If you don't use a plugin to emulate the strumming effect, then there's a mountain of hand editing to be done for strums, nudging each note just slightly behind, or ahead, depending on if it's an up or down strum. And of course that kind of editing has to be done with any kind of snap-to-grid function turned off.

There are excellent programs like Real Guitar which do strumming automatically and can be quite realistic.

So, my two big notes are to move the guitars Much closer to us, and to get those chords more strummed, even if you want them to be very brief in their arrpegiation.

I don't feel that the JABB acoustic guitar is a particularly robust sounding instrument. It's OK in an ensemble, but is rather thin and not complex enough for a really good solo instrument. Experimenting with EQ could help improve the sound for solo work like this.

But, it was Great to hear acoustic guitar work on its own like this--I don't think I've heard ANyone else doing that.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

[quote=rbowser-]
    The link Gunther posted I don't think was apropos--that's a Forum thread about the Roland MIDI Guitar controller--that's for guitar players driving synth/sample instruments, so a guitarist can play a piano sound, flute sound--whatever they want. [quote]

...so a guitarist can play all instruments with this, and evenly in the best way a sampled guitar with nylon strings

[quote=rbowser-] I don't feel that the JABB acoustic guitar is a particularly robust sounding instrument. It's OK in an ensemble, but is rather thin and not complex enough for a really good solo instrument. Experimenting with EQ could help improve the sound for solo work like this. [quote]

I not agree. If someone record this with the Midi Guitar Controller, it will sound very nice.... .

My Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I can't aid with the technical problems, Ron -- but the piece;
    my gosh, that's gorgeous work. All of the Spanish influences
    you've been working with seem to come together in this...
    from the starkly simple to the intricately figured, the ongoing
    conversation in this is an intelligent, and intriguing, dialog.

Thoroughly enjoyed, Ron; superb work on this.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Wow, Ron - This is a wonderful composition. Sounded to me like it all involved things guitar players could actually accomplish, unlike some things I've done where I'm rather sure I haven't been authentic enough to what guitars are capable of.

You wanted feedback on the realization of this done with the JABB guitar. Well, #1 for me, and I am rather sure this won't be a big surprise to you--is that for me there was too much reverb. The guitars were sitting some distance away from me on a not-small stage.

I'm thinking of great classical guitar recordings where it sounds --well, the way acoustic guitars are actually recorded. You've seen the photo tutorials haven't you, where a mike on a boom is literally inches from the instrument? The mike is aimed at various places for various sounds, but always Very close. There'll be another mike in the room so the engineer can mix in some ambience, but the mix is done so that the guitar is close and intimate sounding.

So, for me, I think if you moved the instruments Much closer to us, you would be emulating pro recordings of acoustic guitars more accurately.

The link Gunther posted I don't think was apropos--that's a Forum thread about the Roland MIDI Guitar controller--that's for guitar players driving synth/sample instruments, so a guitarist can play a piano sound, flute sound--whatever they want.

The lead guitar in this recording of yours, on the 16th notes, was the most successful, because plucking individual notes is the easiest thing to have sound natural when playing a guitar sample. It was the chords which sounded less realistic, because they sounded close to simultaneously strummed--not quite, but almost.

If you don't use a plugin to emulate the strumming effect, then there's a mountain of hand editing to be done for strums, nudging each note just slightly behind, or ahead, depending on if it's an up or down strum. And of course that kind of editing has to be done with any kind of snap-to-grid function turned off.

There are excellent programs like Real Guitar which do strumming automatically and can be quite realistic.

So, my two big notes are to move the guitars Much closer to us, and to get those chords more strummed, even if you want them to be very brief in their arrpegiation.

I don't feel that the JABB acoustic guitar is a particularly robust sounding instrument. It's OK in an ensemble, but is rather thin and not complex enough for a really good solo instrument. Experimenting with EQ could help improve the sound for solo work like this.

But, it was Great to hear acoustic guitar work on its own like this--I don't think I've heard ANyone else doing that.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure why it has soooo much reverb - the original didn't, so perhaps iTunes did something when the file was converted into an mp3 (?).

I do know something about recording guitar - I've been on the other end of the microphone, having made a number of classical guitar CDs. And yes, there are other guitar programs out there - RealGuitar, for one (although I wasn't all that impressed). However, I can only post here if I use at least one JABB guitar.

Yes, the EQ needs work. This is a new area for me, and I am doing it by ear. One moment it sounds good, the next, not so good...

Glad you liked the piece. It's from a few yeas back - now that I have a Garritan created guitar, I can share it here.

Thanks for listening.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Hi Ron,

a nice melody and arrangement!

So, if you are a guitar player, for more realistc sounding, perhaps you look here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=54783

My Best

Gunther
    Hi Gunther,

Yes, I have thought about exploring MIDI guitars/controllers. My purpose here was to post something using Garritan (otherwise, I shouldn't post it here). I appreciate the link, and will investigate it some more.

Thanks for stopping by!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Hi Gunther,

Yes, I have thought about exploring MIDI guitars/controllers. My purpose here was to post something using Garritan (otherwise, I shouldn't post it here). I appreciate the link, and will investigate it some more.

Thanks for stopping by!
    I think Gunther is right, just like using a breath controller is a more natural way of playing wind instruments, a guitar controller is a natural way of playing guitar samples... and if you're using Garritan samples anyway, you are posting in the right place.
    That said, great piece of music, Ron!

Ron,

If you gave me the midi file for this piece and asked me to improve the realism I'd say no thanks.
    It just wouldn't be worth the amount of time necessary to tweak all the notes / chords to do it justice. I'd love to hear it played by guitarists because I can't listen to it all the way through here.

As a guitarist I regularly cringe when hearing midi guitar in the same way as others may cringe at my attempts at sax etc. the difference is I can't play sax but I can play guitar.

My Best

Ray

Well Ray, I hear you. Here is the problem: I want to send these to quartets to interest them in playing. I am a guitarist, as well, but somehow I can listen "through" the relatively poor guitar sound(s); that's probably because these are my own works...I was hoping that eh JABB guitar would be usable, and perhaps it can be. I think I need to work more on the EQ/Reverb to come up with something better than what I have achieved so far.

By the way, if you go to my site below my signature, you'll find LaCaccia done with a different guitar (but as it's not Garritan, I don't post it here); the one posted here is version 2. Any, if you are a glutton for punishment...

Thanks for making the attempt. If people bail out, that tells me something, and it's important to hear that message.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast