• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Film Score

New York City

GPO Film Score

Hi All -

I'm flitting in briefly to get some feedback on two pieces I am working on for a film score. It's difficult to describe the plot without giving it all away.

The Files:
    Broken Shore 01
    Broken Shore Pregnant Talk

The first piece (Broken Shore 01) is actually two scenes put together:
    A man is dreaming about what it will be like to play with his son in a playground. This then segue ways into the man and woman doing the dishes in the kitchen and endearingly enjoying each other's company.

The 2nd piece (Broken Shore - PregnantTalk) is when the woman tells the man that she is pregnant. In the scene he thinks it through and decides he wants to keep the baby too.

I cannot yet put parts of the film up. Also, this is not at all final.

What I'm hoping you can help with is some feedback on the mix and the realism of the instruments. While I'm improving with GPO, I'm not quite there yet.

Sorry for the long-windedness. Thanks for any and all feedback.

- Michael
    - Michael Fortunato

Re: GPO Film Score

Hi Michael,

the first one seems to do his job, smile. for me it is good. Perhaps edit the brass solo instrument at the end... . Let it tell more feelings.... .

At the 2nd I am missing a soloinstrument like a flute or better a stradivari...? I would also equalize the strings, moore deeper, and catch the high frequences in the reverb.... .

Did you use a stringpatch for this?

I would built me this with different stringinstruments and let each instrument play only one or two notes at th same time. And, I would use not the same miditrack for all, would shift the notes a little in all tracks and use panorama settings... .

My Best

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Very well done, Michael; good on the ears, and I
    think these snippets hit the marks you were
    reaching for quite well.

First one definitely hits the mark, and the rendering is beautiful; the second is quite lovely, but perhaps not as immediately descriptive. That's ok - sometimes the music and images have to be together before they make full sense. It is quite lovely on its own, and I'm sure with the video element be very effective.
    Ron Pearl

New York City

Thanks everyone for your comments. I really appreciate it.

And Gunther - thank you for that idea. I was indeed using a stringpatch with a solo for violin and cello to fatten it up. I will separate each part and then lightly use violin, viola, cello string patches to fatten the solos up. I think this will give it a much more realistic render. I'll give it a go.

Thanks again all!
    - Michael
    - Michael Fortunato

What a pleasant listen!

I can easily hear this as a scenic backdrop for film.. Quite a beautiful meditative work.

Nicely done, Michael!

Hello, Michael

These pieces sound very sensitive and evocative--I really enjoyed listening to them.

I think it's impossible to separate music from visuals when it's been written for a multi-media purpose like underscoring in a film.

To me, wanting solo instruments in the second cue, for instance, is from hearing the music totally on its own and wanting to hear it developed in the different way music is when it's intended to be the Only sense stimuli. That string passage, used as underscoring in the scene as you described could very well be the kind of abstracted support that works for the scene--hard to tell, but I understand that one of the challenges of composing for film is to be supportive, effective, and yet non-competitive with the images.

But I really liked your writing and execution of these. Excellent that you have such an exciting gig to work on!

Randy B.

Hi, Michael, you were asking for feedback on the mixing:

01 -- I liked the way the flute was lurking away in the background there. I felt that touch added subtlety. Was the harp too wet?

Pregnant Talk -- where all the strings at the beginning are blending into one sound, I'd prefer to have one part more clearly presented as the melody.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

The first selection was very well done and should do well with the picture. I felt the same as some others about the second: the strings so close together sounded straight-up and organ-like. A separation would be a good idea; or, adding some "human feel," if you have that capability on your DAW would work also. Finale has that capability and so does Digital Performer.

Very enjoyable and would like to hear the next number of cues when you finish them.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Ukiah, California

I agree with the prior comments, and would add the following details:
    In the 1st piece:
    The mix and blend seems better in the latter part.
    The opening with the harp comes out a little too loud overall for me. Also, there moments where the notes are slightly off tempo, esp measure 3. Since it is very exposed and so percussive, the timing needs to be right on.

In 2nd, again, hearing it out of context, I'd want to add something like a slow countermelody with an instrument that blends, either Fr Horn or solo cello for example.
    re: string sounds, scoring each part will make it more real (more work); the uniform fade at the end of the chords is more than I'd expect to hear. Perhaps this is why it sounds like a string patch.

Let's hear the next version. (Also, very nice illustration work, esp Yorkshire. )

Go Back to forum