• Register
  • Help

Topic: Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody no6

Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody no6

I had put this one on hold, awaiting the new Steinway and Finale2007. But then i realised i would probably redo so much of it when that happens that i can as well post it as is.
    The repeated octaves in this was a real challenge to work with. It was part of the reason i choosed to render this Liszt piece. To find out how to best get repeated notes sounding convincing.
    Not there yet, but perhaps with Finale2007 and the new Steinway?

Wilton, NH

Re: Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody no6

I know some of Liszt’s Hungarian Rhapsodies very well but I have to admit I am not overly familiar with this one so I can’t tell you how it compares with other versions I’ve heard.

I think you handled the section with all of the repeated notes very well with the differing dynamics, though when the repeated notes are in the bass it isn’t quite as convincing.

Although sections of this sounded very good, parts were kind of stiff (can’t expect too much with notation). It also sounded very dry which tended to make the stiff parts even more so and make the whole sound less alive than should have.

Overall it was an enjoyable listen.
    Trent P. McDonald

San Jose, Ca, USA

Very nice Steinway's rendering and dynamic capturing!
    I like the composition very much! I wish I could perform similar tunes!

Hello, Thomas

What a delightful piece of music to work with. I don't remember hearing this Rhapsody before--Very enjoyable. And your rendering sounded Very good--!

I think you did the right thing to go ahead with this version, then if you want to work on it some more when the Garritan Steinway comes out--well, then fine!

Thank you!

Randy B.

I do believe this one's a winner.
    Great demonstration of the power of the Steinway when notated, which says volumes about your ability in rendering it. Good job / good listen!

There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

I think this is a really great version of the Liszt composition. I can tell you put a lot of work in this.

Thanks everyone. I worked on this one earlier this year and then put it aside because i wasn't really satisfied with the repeated notes sounding to mechanical. I've been eagerly awaiting the new Steinway. But then i thought, no harm posting it as is. Could be a nice comparison with the new Steinway later on atleast.

trentpmcd: You're spot on in your remarks. The octaves in the bass was a major headache for me. I tried at first just copying the attack settings from the right hand octaves but it turned out awful. I had to exaggerate the difference in attack quite a lot to get rid of some of the repeatedness, but then it turned out very sloppy and messy. So i arrived at some compromise that i'm not really satisfied with.

A better way to handle the sustain pedal would do wonders for the dry, not so alive parts. Something i'm hoping Finale2007 will be better at.

Nice job on this, Thomas! Quite a bit of work,
    I must say, and well done.

You know, I very often wonder what fellows like
    Liszt would have thought of all this technology.

My best,

Ah... Liszt... what an awesome dude...

Very nice work with this, it is not the easiest piano piece to render, but your rendition sounds very good!

I prefer to think Liszt would have loved the technology today.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

You did an outstanding job with this rendering. What an exciting piece of music this is. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum