I've been chiming in on this forum for a while now, offering what I hope has been helpful and supportive commentary, so I thought it was only fair that I now post a link to some of my tunes. The link below will take you to my music publishing website. All of the tunes on the "First Chorus" page are done with JABB mostly, with a little bit of the Cakewalk TTS-1 mixed in the inner brass voices. I think one tune uses the electric bass, too. These are extremely rough mixes, done on a very tight deadline, but they'll suffice to give band directors the general idea. I'm not looking for any comments on improving the mixes. I know they need a lot of work.
Click on the (full version) links in each description box to hear the chart.
These pieces are intended for middle school jazz programs where the students are roughly 12-14 yrs old and have been playing their instruments for a year or two. The other pages, Straight Ahead, Salsafied, and Extensions, feature the rest of my catalog, and the pieces listed there are performed by live ensembles. There is more descriptive information on the CHARTS page which will explain each series in further detail.
NOTE TO RANDY: All composers and arrangers have been given full credit.
Production notes: All charts that I write are first written in lead sheet/sketch form on paper and then elaborated up in Sibelius (currently version 4.1.5). Once the chart is fully completed there, I print out the parts and then play them in by hand into Sonar 5 Producer Edition where I do my best to make the performance sound as life-like as possible.
With the First Chorus demos I did a little MIDI massaging (note start times and durations) and added a little reverb (Lexicon Pantheon, Medium Hall, about 10% mix, included in Sonar) to help things out. Had I had the time to do a full production, I would have rendered each instrument individually to audio and then applied a fair amount of EQ and volume control. For these files, in this timeframe, I set the volume and left it. I would like to have used the mod wheel approach because the result is so much better with dynamics - maybe next time.
The two best techniques I used for realism - first, set all the wind instruments' cc22 to 9 or so (flavor to taste). Second, I quantized a lot of the parts to triplets or eighth notes, depending on if the tune was swing or latin/rock, but rather than do 100% accuracy, I only used 95%. That provides the variation to move the note attacks around enough to avoid the "organ" effect. Adding a little reverb to the final mix was the icing on the cake.
So, take a listen and fire away. It's my turn in the barrel.