• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VI JV-style synth: does it exist yet?

Share/Bookmark

VI JV-style synth: does it exist yet?

Just curious if there is a software synth that combines a super versatile wave set and tons of great patches like the old XV or JV romplers of yesteryear. Any recommendations?

Re: VI JV-style synth: does it exist yet?

You really think some one would have figured this one out by now. The JV/XP synths have such a great soundset and have only 32 megs of menory. Plus all of the cool expansion cards and their great soundsets. Some people have tried with VSTs like Muse and Colossus and while some of the sounds are fantastic, no one has yet nailed a great JV/XP VST. (IMHO)

Roland has just released a hardware VST based on the Fantom soundset but A) it is expensive and B) it's hardware.

Still waiting for the D-50 VST as well...

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

you mean the Soniccell?
    I tried it at the Frankfurt fair and its a very cool unit actually. Audio/MIDI-interface,600 Fantomsounds,MP3/Midifileplayer 128 voices, 5 effectprocessors
    and dedicated software for 680 euro is a fair price IMHO.
    For me its the equivalent of a Powercore FW or the new UA Xpander for keyboardplayers.

I hope Arturia will consider doing a D-50 plug-that would be awesome!

Hans, can it be used as a vsti? I get the impression that it is a hardware audio card, midi interface and that the real digital interaction with your DAW is that it comes with a plug in that will allow you to edit it from your DAW.... can it be used as a vsti?
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler
    I hope Arturia will consider doing a D-50 plug-that would be awesome!

I wish this too but I seem to recall Eric Persing saying that the short samples in the D-50 are copyrighted and therefore it is illegal to resample them. Perhaps Roland will license these out to someone but from the looks of things they are still in the hardware game. They really need to follow Korg's Legacy Collections. Bring back the D-50, the JV's and the XP's at around $200 a pop. They'd make nothing but money off of those instruments as VST's. (don't forget all of the SRJV80 expansion cards!

2 more cents,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

i was hoping that since Arturia got official permission for the Jupiter they might also get the OK for the D-50!

Regarding the Sonic Cell it looks like it will work as a VST/AU plug in just like the SH201.

I love how the Roland Fantom sound just like the Roland XP 60 -80 etc.
    Erics Genius?
    Seriously even that Motif sounded simular to me.
    What you are talking about sounds(LOL) like the Wusik station maybe?
    I play on A Roland XP-80 GO figure.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

hi again Hans,
    I got the impression that you can only use it as a 'vsti' if you use it as your audio hardware.... I meant more along the lines of using my existing audio hardware....unless I am wrong.
    thanks
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

from the manual it looks like you only need to setup the Sonic Cell as a MIDI Interface so you can get the MIDInote data and the Sysex to and from the machine to use the plugin editor.
    However if you are on a mac you could create an aggregated device to combine your regular audiointerface with the SC if you wish to but IMO you dont need to do that to use it as a VST.

Hans

Go Back to forum