• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Easy to use orchestral library?

Share/Bookmark

Easy to use orchestral library?

Is there any orchestra library that is easy to use? Budget around $1000, if it's just a bit more I'll consider it.

Oh and I have Kontakt already.

Re: Easy to use orchestral library?

The obvious answer:

Any library is easy to use if you don't care about the results... Just plug in and play. All libraries are getting harder and harder to use, if you want added realism...

That said EW, comes out rather well out of the box, and is bellow 1000$, and GPO works great with Sibelius and Finale, automatically pretty much, so it's greeat as well...

Well I should be more specific : I'm ok with setting up and fiddling around with the sound (mixing) but I want the articulations to be as automatic as possible (less midi editing).

Anything? I tried Synful and while it's good, is there anything else that sound better than Synful?

Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1
    Well I should be more specific : I'm ok with setting up and fiddling around with the sound (mixing) but I want the articulations to be as automatic as possible (less midi editing).

Anything? I tried Synful and while it's good, is there anything else that sound better than Synful?
    All developers are working now for new players to use easy... . That is the actually trend.... .

Just visit the Kirk Hunter`s website and/or wait for the new Garritan Sample-Engine.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by Argitoth
    Have you checked Vienna Symphonic Library Special Edition? http://vsl.co.at/en-us/211/412/293.vsl

It's $1000 almost exactly. And that's just the starter version. You can continue to buy upgrades until you purchase their fully featured $11,000 library.

The thing about VSL is that it has its own sampler and so it becomes VERY easy to setup articulations, access them fast, and do sample transitions and everything. Check out their video tutorials:
    http://vsl.co.at/en-us/211/412/237.vsl

Anyone serious about composing will buy this library because EW libraries doesn't do nearly as much as VSL can with its own sampler. Portamento and Legato anyone?
    I don't think you can upgrade from SE to the bigger versions.

I agree VSL player seems to be the best player around and so are the samples. But it's not a sampler as I'm sure you already knew.

Wink Re: Easy to use orchestral library?

Quote Originally Posted by Argitoth

Anyone serious about composing will buy this library because EW libraries doesn't do nearly as much as VSL can with its own sampler. Portamento and Legato anyone?
    Do you think East-West is sleeping??? Oh no, they are working hard for their new player "PLAY", and be sure that this one will be very very great!

It is always now the question how good a player works. I think, today we are at the beginning of a new Era..... .

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Do you think East-West is sleeping??? Oh no, they are working hard for their new player "PLAY", and be sure that this one will be very very great!

It is always now the question how good a player works. I think, today we are at the beginning of a new Era..... .
    Not only that, if you purchased after January 1, 2007 (I think that is the date) you can upgrade to the EW player for free (but its costs extra to keep the Kontakt version, and extra for the dongle (if you don't already have one)).

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1
    Is there any orchestra library that is easy to use? Budget around $1000, if it's just a bit more I'll consider it.

Oh and I have Kontakt already.
    I have both EW Gold Pro XP and VSL Vienna SE (as well as HALion Symphonic Orchestra, MOTU S.I., Miroslav Philharmonik, and Apple Symphonic Jam Pack). Here's my feelings:

1. HALion Symphonic Orchestra ($599)- 16 & 24 bit samples. This works well when you want to compose on a laptop with less memory (hence using the 16 bit) then move up to the 24 bit when you want better sonic results. Strings are some of the best I've heard. Brass ain't too shabby. Has release samples. 27 gig library for well under $1000. Works impeccably well with Cubase 4 including Re-Wire. I use it for strings constantly.

2. Gold Pro XP- (price not sure) I only use Gold for low brass (tuba, bones), percussion, piano. I don't care for the string samples as I find theydon't have really good downbowed samples. Long sustained strings also sound off except for the sordino patches which sound very good. Some like the built-in ambience. I'm beginning to dislike it especially when I mix the very dry VSL samples with them. Yeah, EW keeps promising PLAY and I'm sure it will rock (I'm sure I'll use the samples more since I have to deal with importing into Kontakt 2 as I'm an Intel Mac user and the Kompakt players don't work as plug-ins on Intel Macs) but it's not out yet.

3. VSL Vienna SE ($445 standard lib, $595 extended lib)- I really like this package. Yeah, some complain about the 3 velocity layers but I just adjust the ADSR to give the samples more dimension. I love the player it comes with too. Although I initially thought a mono-timbral player would be limiting it isn't. You can load various articulations per player and create your own custom switching methods according to what type of keyboard you have. The Extended Library is worth getting as it gives you Saxes, Epic Horns, Appasionatta Strings, extended winds and brass plus Chamber Strings.

You also get VSL's famed performance legatos which really make your stuff sound ultra-realistic. EW's Qlegato gets close in some instruments but NOT in the wind dept. Sorry but they don't.

I use all three of these in combination mind you and I'm glad I own all three. If I had to just live with one, I probably would choose them in this order

1. Vienna SE- best variety, sounds, performance legatos, flexible player
    2. HALion Symphonic Orchestra- cheaper, runs smoothly, great sounding
    3. Gold PRo- awesome percussion and low brass samples. Nice Steinway piano. Will be MUCH more attractive when PLAY is released.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    Not only that, if you purchased after January 1, 2007 (I think that is the date) you can upgrade to the EW player for free (but its costs extra to keep the Kontakt version, and extra for the dongle (if you don't already have one)).

jeffn1
    I know it, and that was a reason more for me to buy EWQLSO Platinum Bundle this month...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1

jeffn1
    I'd rather not have a dongle since my laptop has limited USB ports (PCMCIA is used for FW800).

Go Back to forum