• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Fugue in C Minor

Share/Bookmark

Fugue in C Minor

Finding myself in a sudden contrapuntal mood, I came up with this over the last few days.

Fugue in C Minor, 4:15, 7.8Mb. GPO pipe organ.

The volume seems about right when the low notes start interfering with your cardiac rhythm.

Re: Fugue in C Minor

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp
    Finding myself in a sudden contrapuntal mood, I came up with this over the last few days.

Fugue in C Minor, 4:15, 7.8Mb. GPO pipe organ.

The volume seems about right when the low notes start interfering with your cardiac rhythm.
    Great work on this. And a good choice of key for a fugue - one of my favourites! I thoroughly enjoyed this well structured piece which suites the GPO organ. Will there be a Prelude?. If so, keep us posted.

Regards,

Graham

Masterful work! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Ending in the major is a nice touch.

You demonstrate an excellent knowledge of composition. (Do you give lessons? )

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

And listening to your music put me in a contrapuntal mood too! I felt myself transported to a church somewhere in Europe. The major ending worked great for me too. The only thing that seemed out of place was the series of chords (diminished?) leading up to your final major.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

BRAVO, Darwin!

Lucky us that you got in a contrapuntal mood! Solid, stirring work - it all worked tremendously well for me.

And the GPO Organ sounded great. Someone said recently they felt the GPO Organs are weak--Wow, I don't know how that could be said. --Probably depends on who's doing the playing, just as with any instrument.

THank you and BRAVO again!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Graham,

Not sure why I picked C Minor, except maybe to cover the whole range of the instrument (and end on a pedal C ). There will likely be no prelude.

Larry,

I'm doing my best to bring the picardy third back into vogue . I can't profess knowledge enough to give lessons, but I will say writing a fugue is a lot like working a 3-D jigsaw puzzle without any reference to the final result (until it's done).

Diligamus,

Lucky you, I usually get transported to a church somewhere in New Jersey! Yes, there's some dimnished seventh chords in the final cadence. I'm not sure why, they just seemed right, plus they set up a nice contrast to the final chord. I think they lead the listener to expect a minor ending and then really surprise the listener with major instead.

Randy,

I had an indifferent opinion about the GPO pipe organ at the outset. But I've come to appreciate its capabilities as well. That said, I would love to hear this played live.

To All,

Thanks for braving the murky depths of the fugal form, as it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea these days.

Darwin,

I've always admired those capable of writing good fugues, as they always are great pieces of music. No exception here. And that ending!

Good work with the organ too.

I agree - I'm glad you were in a counterpoint type of mood - I wish I could write something like this when I'm in a counterpoint mood. This is a great fugue. The GPO organ sounds great here.
    Trent P. McDonald

Darwin,

That is a wonderfully spirited and beautifully crafted composition. It took me straight back to my choral days. GREAT work ... thank you for sharing it

BTW EM ... some parts of the UK had 2 inches of rain in ONE HOUR today

Hi Reegs,

Where the formal fugue is concerned, I'd have to agree it's a sink or swim proposition. Potentially "bad" fugues are most likely abandoned shortly after (or even during) the exposition and never completed. Good to hear you liked the ending!

Ern,

My hunchback stayed up in the attic (where the bells are) and wouldn't come down, but I could hear him stomping to the music. It's interesting what people associate with various kinds of music. If you ever get a chance, drive into the wind during light snowfall while listening to pipe organ music. The constant fluidity of the snow coming at you is synergistic with the continual fluidity of the music. The effect is amazing!

Trent,

Glad you liked the fugue and the rendering with GPO. Sometimes, it all comes together, as much to my surprise as anyone's.

Paul,

Thanks for the feedback! Spirit is an elusive quality that I've become more cognizant of over the years. And if I knew what it was, I'd write it down.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast