• Register
  • Help

Topic: Getting started with sequencing

Getting started with sequencing

Newbie here.

I have a PhD in music composition. I see a lot of advice for those looking to learn orchestration, but I now *teach* orch and arranging, so I'm good on that front. My problem is that I'm rather lost when it comes to music technology. I can use a computer, troubleshoot when something goes bad (on my Mac), and I'm not anti-technology. However, I still compose mostly at the piano and than use Sibelius or Finale to create finished parts in the end. The universities I attended didn't have music technology options available to me when I was an undergrad or grad student.

Up to this point, I have performed all of my music with real musicians. Now that I've graduated, I don't have access to this anymore and would like to do some professional-quality mock-ups of my most recent pieces. Sizes of ensembles vary, from orchestra to mixed chamber groups to solo instrument with piano.

Anyone have any ideas on getting started??? The software I have is: Sibelius 5, some EW Orchestra libraries, Kontakt 2, and Digital Performer 5 (running on a 4-core Intel Mac). Besides Sibelius, I haven't a clue how to start using the others. I've tried the manuals, but they seem to be written in a different language.

Are there any resources available that could take me through the process step-by-step? I know that I could catch on and learn on my own, but I need to be shown the process first.

Re: Getting started with sequencing

Welcome. There are several of us around here looking for someone to mentor us as we learn composition and orchestration!

I'm a PC/Sonar man myself, but I do believe there are many Mac/Sibelius/Digital Performer folks around.

Welcome to northernsounds.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Thanks! I would be glad to trade orch and composition tips for some technical knowledge. At this point, I'd be willing to pay someone to do mock ups off of my scores (not much, mind you, I'm only an assistant prof).

I'd be willing to help you get up to speed with DP5 and K2. That is what I use, as well as Sibelius. I don't use EW though. A couple good resources are Virtual Instruments magazine and Unicornation.com. Let me know if your interested and we can go through a mockup process on a score.

Go Back to forum