• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Expected release is the Spring of 2006"

Share/Bookmark

"Expected release is the Spring of 2006"

This quote is from the January 19th, 2006 press release for the Garritan Steinway.

It is frustrating that this release date has been so far off. I am sure you are working very hard with all the various things going on with your business but this is bugging me.

I want to feel good about this coming library but am left wondering what went wrong that we are coming up on a year and a half after the expected release date and still no piano (The "Where We Are At" updates leave me wanting much more info with regards to this release, especially with this looong of a delay).

I wish developers would set more realistic release dates. Yes, I do realize we aren't waiting on a cure for cancer here but jeez

That being said, I still hope it comes very very soon and that it's truly outstanding.

Please direct feedback and angry thoughts about my post to my ex-wife's email address:

martha@marthastewart.com

Thank you

Re: "Expected release is the Spring of 2006"

I'm guessing it had to do with the PPC to Intel switch that Apple made in early 2006. That caused software developers to have to convert their software into universal binaries. Add on Kontakt 2 being developed and released along with Kontakt Player 2 and you are bound to get some delays as bugs are sorted out with the new engine and scripting system. Not to mention the speed that NI works at when new software needs to be released.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

I haven't any idea why a developer would take so much time developing unless he/she is developing quite an exceptional product. Sometimes things don't always go the way we plan.
    Wait ... good shall come of it.
    Styxx

The good thing about Gary is that he never releases anything till it's ready - and because his instruments tend to have some kind of revolutionary technology, this means he can't possibly hope to release at the same rate as manufacturers of simple sample libraries. Personally I'm very grateful not to be used as a paying beta tester.

football,

In developing software, Murphy's Law often happens. It goes with the turf.

There has been transparency with regards to our announced product releases. I have been posting periodic updates to let people know what has been happening. Users have been advised every step of the way as to the challenges we have faced so they know what to expect. Remember Vista took years to come to market, Giga 3 took 2-1/2 years, and countless other product delays could be cited as well. This happens in software.

At the time when we announced our partnership with Steinway & Sons, we were considering releasing the first version in the Kontakt Player. Kontakt 2 Player was delayed, there were Mac Intel considerations as CJ pointed out, and other intervening issues.

It became apparent that the Steinway library would best be served with our own player. There were features we wanted to implement that could not be done in Kontakt. Developing our own player from scratch took a lot of time, but it is an investment that will be beneficial for all in years to come.

As Pingu pointed out, we do not want to release something until it is ready. This will be "The Authorized" Steinway piano library, made in partnership with Steinway in Sons. We want to make sure it is done right and be a product that will set a new standard.

Best,

Gary Garritan

Thank you for the reply Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by football
    Thank you for the reply Gary.
    You're welcome!

Be sure to let your ex-wife Martha know. Maybe now the two of you will be reconciled.

Gary

Murphy's Law controls my life when it comes to software development anyways. I set up a live chat system, it can't handle sessions. I create my own, it overloads the development server. Kind of annoying after a while. Heck, Murphy's Law is the reason why I turned one of my computers into a fire hazard. Good thing that nothing went wrong afterwards (besides a hard drive failure...)
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

I find that software development is more controlled by Hofstadter's Law:

Hofstadter's Law:
    It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    Your website naming competition is intriguing. I'm sure northernsounds people would have some suggestions. But maybe that's getting OT.

And now, back to our scheduled thread.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Go Back to forum