• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Animation soundtrack

Smile Animation soundtrack - Favelados

Hi everyone

For sometime now (on and and off) Ive been producing the soundtrack for a short animation, mostly using GPO.

You can't see the wholefilm on the website, but you can watch a trailer for it by clicking on the film tab at the top. It takes a few moments to load as its quicktime. The general website music was also done using the following instruments (see list below), but a bit hurriedly (had to get to pub), and they reduced the quality and somehow bumped up the EQ in the mid range ... unless its just the little speakers im listening to at the mo...

What i used:
    JABB guitar (EQ'd and 'puncher' - features more prominently in actual film)
    Magnus choir
    Angelina 16
    Percussion comes from JABB and from a yamaha DD55c. some bongos and congos recorded live by myself.

Think thats it...hope you all enjoy it. SOrry you cant see the whole thing on there! will let you know when you can (ig your interested!)

PS: the video seems to be slightly zoomed in, and ever so fractionally ahead of the music...i hope that will be fixed soon!
    Last edited by BenNichols; 07-20-2007 at 08:12 PM. Reason: update instruments list

Re: Animation soundtrack

Hey Ben,
    Well, I went to the site and just stared at the amazing picture encapsulating the film. The music just washes over you and draws you into the story and extracts what it can from the simple picture leaving one wanting more. The music is perfect! The theme being repeated with the cello then passed to the winds gave me chills. Wonderful job! Looking forward to hearing and seeing everything!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Yes. The music seemed to fit the animation nicely. It sounded great even on my work's computer (with cheap speakers). The animation looked great too!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

THanks guys! The pic on the opening page is an impressive one, and so is the animation! Its only 5 min long and they spent over a year working solidly on it! Thats a massive commitment, dont think I could ever spend that long on 5 mind of music!

Thanks againm

Hello, Ben!

Fabulous sound track--wow--Excellent writing and excellent recording to convey it. That was probably a good decision, to record the Bongos and Congos live, they're so active and prominent in it that MIDI instruments would have been maybe even impossible to breathe as much life into them.

I don't know what I need on my computer to make the video work--I only got a white screen, even though I went through the 5 minutes to download (cable connection!) and it said the video was fully loaded. OH well, this way I got to concentrate on your great music.

Randy B.

Thanks Bowser! Strange that you got a white screen, all you need is quiktime. perhaps your not up to date on your quicktime version? Its a shame you didnt see it with the video tho, as the soundtrack is meant to enhance and express the visual....

your right, i couldnt find any really decent congo and bongo samples, and i knew they were gonna be prominent in the mix (along with some other brazilian perc. repero i think one of them was called...i did my research!) so i rigged up a few mics in my room and deafened my housemates for half an hour!

THanks again, and congrats on your "moderator-ship"!

Re: Animation soundtrack - Favelados

Hi Ben, there's some powerful and good writing here. Very atmospheric and perfectly suited to the imagery. The sound quality leaves a bit to be desired though, it almost sounds mono. I'd love to hear this full on as I think you have some superb material here.

Regards, Graham

Wilton, NH

Hi Ben,

I like what I saw and heard. The animation looked great and your music fit perfectly. I guess this trailer did its job - I thought it was too short and wanted to see more.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi Ben,

very short, but/and great!

Please let us hear more when your work is finished!

My Best

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Very nice!

The composition certainly fits well with the trailer... Strong and captivating.

The original animation concept reminded me of Miyazaki's "Grave of the Fireflies"

Creating a short animation is no easy feat to accomplish.... so much work involved. I respect anyone who pours their heart into something of this magnitude!
    I can see this project being received with great enthusiasm, if your arrangement is an example of the level of quality involved.

Excellent work, Ben!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast