• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Untitled Symphony?

Share/Bookmark

Untitled Symphony?

Here is a rework of one of my compositions from last year, using nothing but GPO instruments.

I'm not really sure what constitutes a symphony, but I'm sure about the "phony" bit

Anyway, I hope you like it

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/stutty

Re: Untitled Symphony?

I had to press buttons on the player to get it to advance to your symphony. After that ... what a brilliant opening violin solo! The xylophone (?) solo that followed was a suprise, and after that we entered a series of many changing moods and textures. Each one worked well in itself, but I was suprised by the sudden changes. I would have preferred them to be more organic. I loved the ending, and also the percussion parts all the way through. It's very creative.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Hey Paul

I believe this is a very extensive and eclectic work. It has moments of orchestral classical restraint and thought provoking new-age piano passages which are all interspersed with wonderful execution and variety of percussion.
    Is it a Symphony? Well, usually they have 4 to 5 individual movements but I'm not one to discuss technical specifics. However, I do think it is a wonderful work and merits serious attention by the forum. Thank you very much for posting. Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Well if you want to get technical, it sounds more like a rhapsody than a symphony, but I like it! Very dramatic melodies and I like how you orchestrate them - especially the second theme, which I think is a bit repetitive by itself but you vary the voicing and keep adding instruments to keep it interesting - nice. The use of piano as part of the orchestra is nice too - not too bombastic but not superfluous either.

One criticism if I may though, I think the section starting at 3:39 might be a bit too heavy on the pad-style strings. The primary elements are *very* beautiful especially when the oboe and clarinet join forces, it sounds like it could stand very well on its own with perhaps some sparser accompaniement (harp perhaps?) than all the sustained string tones, both because they obscure a lot of the more interesting stuff, and because they were already used in the second movement, and so there isn't a great change in texture between the two. Have faith in your melodies! They can float on their own without the added bouyancy!

I can't comment on the rendering since everything on sym's music player sounds a bit dodgy to me sonically speaking, but overall it's a great listen!

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Hi, Paul - Very good to see you here again with more music.

wow--I really enjoyed the magic carpet ride of this piece's ever-changing textures. Solid, uncomplicated themes played with such passion! Around 4:30 with the repeating piano riff, woodwinds and shimmering strings--an especially nice episode.

Symphony? Ah, I say forget the classical designations of genres and just write Music.

It'd be great if you could post individual links to pieces. I got the player to move ahead, using the menu as a guide for where I was going, but I think some people don't fiddle so long to get somewhere.

Thanks!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thank you for the very encouraging comments everyone

Diligamus: I am working on an extended version as we speak. I thought that seven minutes was probably long enough for the forum though lol

Michael: Thank you for the great comments

Chris: I agree with you about the string pad in the last section, maybe I'll change this in the extended version (I might even extend it to a symphony lol)

Randy: Great idea about the individual links. I have just opend an esnips account so I'll be linking to the intended file from now on.

Thank you all

I enjoyed your symphony. I wasn't so sure at the beginning but it became a very interesting piece of music.

I wonder if the Garritan Strad would work well for the beginning and in other places.

Phil

Hi Phil

Thank you for your comments. I used the Violin 2 Strad Solo KS for the first solo violin and Violin 1 Gagli KS Solo for its accompaniament

I'm starting to learn more about the finer art of programming GPO and will probably revisit this piece later with a finer look at the solo programming.

HI Paul,

Little can be said that hasn't already. Very ecclectic, and esthetic. There are some very moving passages here. congratulations!!

I would be hesitant to call this symphony, but then again I recently got on a BIG rant about calling things symphony if you want so......call it whatever man...

Great Piece,

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stutt
    Hi Phil

Thank you for your comments. I used the Violin 2 Strad Solo KS for the first solo violin and Violin 1 Gagli KS Solo for its accompaniament

I'm starting to learn more about the finer art of programming GPO and will probably revisit this piece later with a finer look at the solo programming.

When I mentioned the Garritan Strad I meant the Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin 2.0 which is a separate product. Info at garritan.com.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast