• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A STRANGE THEORY (Ray's Jazz Quintet)

Share/Bookmark

A STRANGE THEORY (Ray's Jazz Quintet)

Track #5

A STRANGE THEORY of matter or doesn't it matter. quantum physics rule ok!

Ray

Re: A STRANGE THEORY (Ray's Jazz Quintet)

Hi, Ray

Your Jazz combo is still cooking along I see/hear.

I liked the theme of this piece. I was anticipating it being developed more, but it was more of a pop piece in the sense that it really wasn't constructed in the way I was expecting at first.

The lead lines sound great, and the guys who move back to give him support stay pretty active, almost in a New Orleans style. At times I was wanting them to simmer down Just a bit. lol.

Quirky and I like it. And I'm glad you edited out the "filler" description you originally had. Who wants to describe anything they write as just "filler"--!

Thanks, Ray.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Ray this is really fun!

For starters, excellent rendering and mix job. This is good casual club music. The tension from the start makes an excellent resolution into the head. Some of the voicings are really neat too. And that clarinet really sparkles, while at the same time the tenor gets it own space. Great work with the walking bass lines.

I like how the playing remains reserved throughout the piece, too. It leaves you wanting more!!

Best,
    Reegs

Hi Ray,

I'm not knowledgeable about jazz, but i sure like to listen -- and enjoyed this piece very much! (and your sense of humor)

ps new pic 4 u!!

cheers,
    karen

Nice undulating structure on this... not sure if you'd call it "call and response" but I like where the lead instruments back off for a second to let the rhythm section do its thing every now and then. Having the melodic elements always in your face/ears gets tiring after a while so I'm glad you're giving the listeners a breather (maybe a better word than "filler" ). I'm liking this project you have going more and more. Very lifelike parts as always too.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Who wants to describe anything they write as just "filler"--!
    Mattress makers.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

This one sounds like it could be used as a sound track. I was thinking Pixar but that's because I recently saw Ratatouille.

I like it.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Ray

Your Jazz combo is still cooking along I see/hear.

I liked the theme of this piece. I was anticipating it being developed more, but it was more of a pop piece in the sense that it really wasn't constructed in the way I was expecting at first.

The lead lines sound great, and the guys who move back to give him support stay pretty active, almost in a New Orleans style. At times I was wanting them to simmer down Just a bit. lol.

Quirky and I like it. And I'm glad you edited out the "filler" description you originally had. Who wants to describe anything they write as just "filler"--!

Thanks, Ray.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy,

Quirky, that's the word I was looking for. That's why I didn't develop this. I gave the back line a little room here. These fella's vamping away while the soloists take the plaudits. On to the next track a tango maybe.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    Ray this is really fun!

For starters, excellent rendering and mix job. This is good casual club music. The tension from the start makes an excellent resolution into the head. Some of the voicings are really neat too. And that clarinet really sparkles, while at the same time the tenor gets it own space. Great work with the walking bass lines.

I like how the playing remains reserved throughout the piece, too. It leaves you wanting more!!

Best,
    Reegs
    Reegs,

The idea here is that the better the mix the less attention to musicianship.
    That's what drives me on. I'm really enjoying myself and I hope that's what comes over.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by KE Peace
    Hi Ray,

I'm not knowledgeable about jazz, but i sure like to listen -- and enjoyed this piece very much! (and your sense of humor)

ps new pic 4 u!!

cheers,
    karen
    Hi teacher! don't look at me like that over these reading specs!
    I'm not knowledgeable about most music genre but I can sure make a noise.
    Also thanks! that's a first - me being accused of having a sense of humour.
    You obviously like "liberal" helpings of wry/dry wit.

My Best from Scotland

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by suspenlute
    Nice undulating structure on this... not sure if you'd call it "call and response" but I like where the lead instruments back off for a second to let the rhythm section do its thing every now and then. Having the melodic elements always in your face/ears gets tiring after a while so I'm glad you're giving the listeners a breather (maybe a better word than "filler" ). I'm liking this project you have going more and more. Very lifelike parts as always too.

Mattress makers.

-Chris
    Chris - another like Randy who listened well ahead of posting here as I removed the offending "filler" reference before going to bed last evening.
    That would be a good survey actually. Name an album wih no fillers. I would think there can only be a handful. As I'm doing these tracks as parts of an album I have given myself some scope in varying type and tempo of output. The next track will be a tango. Not jazz but the same players (luckily the piano player has an accordion).
    The challenge of doing the album has been most educational in the art of rendering or mixing, mastering and recording. With each new track I learn a little more about it. Again I must say I do this as an obsession (hobby) not a job.

My Best

Ray

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast