• Register
  • Help

Topic: Emperor phase problem

Share/Bookmark

Emperor phase problem

Hi,

I've been trying out the Emperor piano which i bought a few months ago. Sounds glorious in stereo, but appears to suffer a nasty collapse when you flick on the mono switch. Tried this in exs and Kontakt versions. Level disappears in the mix to the tune of about 4 dB, and the tone becomes very phas-ey. I know a certain adjustment is always to be expected, but this is unusable. Logic's correlation meter confirms - about a third of the way into the red, where you don't want to go. Any else had this? anyone come up with any plug-in settings (phase adjustment, etc) that helps?

thx

Re: Emperor phase problem

..OK then, in a last ditch effort to stay relevant - is there anybody who is using the Sampletekk Emperor Piano who does NOT get a 4 dB collapse when switching to mono, accompanied by a very phase-ey tone?

Hi.

The PMI Emperor Piano is sold by SampleTekk but was produced by PMI.
    So I can't say a lot about how this piano has been recorded. Anyway, in general, when recording a piano in stereo, the mono version it's not always taken into cosideration.
    When recording the SampleTekk pianos, White and Black Grand. TBO, 7CG, and Vertikal, we checked that the mono version would work.
    One way to fix the Emperor piano, (or any other instrument with this kind of problem), would be to filp the phase on one channel. You need some kind of batch processor to do that, or a lot of spare time.....
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Just curious but why are you running mono?
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymio
    JP
    quite often you need a mono version in a mix since the stereo one gets "to big" to fit into the picture
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

You should try to maximise your mix's compatibility when played back on mono devices. For example, a lot of people are still watching TV on monitors with either just one speaker, or speakers so close together that if you're listening from the other side of the room, it is, in effect, mono. As you progress through a mix, you should periodically switch to mono. It will always sound different, and probably less satisfying, but you aim for a sense that everything is still basically in balance, and all the important elements can still be heard. I did a mix with the Emperor, and when i went to mono, the piano nearly disappeared in the mix. I had to quickly scramble for my old trusty Logic piano, which doesn't sound nearly as good in stereo, but is at least mono campatible.

Quote Originally Posted by mpmusicny
    I had to quickly scramble for my old trusty Logic piano, which doesn't sound nearly as good in stereo, but is at least mono campatible.
    Since you have Logic, give it a go with the "Gain" plugin. With it you can flip the phase of the left or the right (or both) channel.

Best
    Thomas
    We are the musikmakers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
    -Willy Wonka

www.lavergren.com
    Follow me on Twitter!

Already tried it - you can actually do a lot more with the sample delay plug-in - you can alter the phase between the left and right channels in increments on one sample. I've managed to get the phase correlation better (according to the correlation meter plug-in) but it still sounds bad in mono..

Quote Originally Posted by mpmusicny
    I had to quickly scramble for my old trusty Logic piano, which doesn't sound nearly as good in stereo, but is at least mono campatible.
    The Logic ESX piano? Now I understand your level of desperation.
    JP

Go Back to forum