• Register
  • Help

Topic: A couple of mock ups featuring the Strad

Share/Bookmark

A couple of mock ups featuring the Strad

Hi All, Here are a couple of pieces featuring the Garritan Strad.They are 'Close every door' by Andrew Lloyd Webber and 'I wish I was a punrocker' by Sandi Thom. I've had this library for a while and wasn't very happy with the results I was getting (just wasn't getting the warmth and expression I was hearing in the demo's). But in the last couple of weeks everything started to click and the penny finally dropped as to how extensive use of CC's in the right places can really make the difference.
    Anyway just wanted to post a couple of covers I've done (arrangements all my own) to see what people think and get some feedback on how I can take the Strad to the next level.

Close Every Door + I Wish I Was A Punkrocker

Enjoy

Kev
    Last edited by KeviD; 07-24-2007 at 01:36 AM. Reason: add composer credits
    You can listen to my latest piece here -

Re: A couple of mock ups featuring the Strad

Hi Kev,

a nice composition!

You are allowed to mix the strad with more volume....

And, you are right: The Strad, also the Gofriller Cello, is not easy to play. One must learn it, nearly as with a material instrument..., but than the results a very very awesome.

My tipp is: experiment and experiment! But, look to the special threads about this instruments, or ask Randy and some others to send you their midifiles where they used it... . I am sure they all will help you!

My Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Hi Kev,

a nice composition!

You are allowed to mix the strad with more volume....

And, you are right: The Strad, also the Gofriller Cello, is not easy to play. One must learn it, nearly as with a material instrument..., but than the results a very very awesome.

My tipp is: experiment and experiment! But, look to the special threads about this instruments, or ask Randy and some others to send you their midifiles where they used it... . I am sure they all will help you!

My Best

Gunther
    Hi Gunther, thanks for the feedback. I must however stress that these are not my own compositions. They are covers just used as an educational ade to help me to practice getting a decent sampled sound.
    As for the volumn I will try and get another mix done tomorrow as I think you are right, it is a bit quiet.

Thanks again

Kev

Hi, Kev

These tracks are sounding pretty good! I'd say more editing down of velocity values for attacks would be helpful. And there's something difficult when we use an instrument to replace a vocal line, the repeated notes can be awkward for an instrument--and I feel that's what's happening in "Punkrocker." Hold a note for the full value of the repeated notes in the original vocal arrangement--that's a good starting point at smoothing out the translation from solo vocal to solo instrument.

--I couldn't see any composer credits at the site.--It would be good to give them credit, don't you think? Maybe you could edit your original post also to include the info that you didn't write these, to avoid confusing future visitors.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Kev

These tracks are sounding pretty good! I'd say more editing down of velocity values for attacks would be helpful. And there's something difficult when we use an instrument to replace a vocal line, the repeated notes can be awkward for an instrument--and I feel that's what's happening in "Punkrocker." Hold a note for the full value of the repeated notes in the original vocal arrangement--that's a good starting point at smoothing out the translation from solo vocal to solo instrument.

--I couldn't see any composer credits at the site.--It would be good to give them credit, don't you think? Maybe you could edit your original post also to include the info that you didn't write these, to avoid confusing future visitors.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hi Randy, Thanks for the feedback. Excellent point about the repeated notes, I hadn't thought about just holding the note on instead. I will definitely try this.
    I have updated my site with relevant credits. Thanks for pointing this out to me. I am new to this website lark (Only made the site at the weekend), so thanks for pointing me in the write direction.
    I will try and post an original piece using the Strad, Maybe at the weekend.

Thanks again,

Kev

Kev, really fine job on these; both the rendering and the
    arranging... much enjoyed.

On the Webber tune, I'd agree there's a bit of reticence
    in the Strad; it could be brought forward a little more.

Keep it coming -- solid work!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum