• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Hodie, Christus Natus Est! (SSAATTBB w/ small orchestra)

Hodie, Christus Natus Est! (SSAATTBB w/ small orchestra)

Hi all,

This is a Christmas piece for SSAATTBB chorus, and smalll orchestra with harp. The voice parts are represented by "solo string" sounds (as versus the "section" strings. All instruments are GPO (as bundled with Finale 2006)

The following link should, I hope, open a player for this song:

The words are from classic latin Christmas texts:

Hodie, Christus natus est!
    O Magnum mysterium!
    Salvator apparuit;
    Gloria in excelsis Deo!

Re: Hodie, Christus Natus Est! (SSAATTBB w/ small orchestra)

ps hey ray, this new pic's for you! this is what i look like without the ghost effect and the tux

Oh my goodness! I was just about to reply when your photo changed on me! So anyways ... what was I about to say ... oh yes, Latin choral music ... I was going to say, that's the sort of project I would like to do. It sounds good, Karen. I guess 0'58" is where the voices come in fugue-like. But soon after that I lost the ability to imagine how it would sound with voices. What we all need here is an affordable and usable choir library.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

re: Diligamus: voices...

yes, D, that would be great -- at some point i may try to dub the voices in myself (at least Soprano thru most of tenor), because I can't really hear it totally either to be honest -- it's hard to separate out the solo strings (voices) from the orchestra. Thanks for listening!

sorry for the shapeshifting !

Hi Karen,

What can I say, I'm needing a music teacher and you certainly look the part
    Lessons will have to be on skype though.

A very nice piece here, but I felt myself counting 4 to the bar due to lack of legato and tempo change. That is, as the cello comes in and for the rest of the piece. The performing space is very small, the orchestra need more room to stretch their legs. Get the microphone plugged in and let's hear the soprano in you.

My Best

Hi, Karen

AH but it's great to see you posting another piece here. And what an intriguing one! Let alone that it's suddenly Christmas in July, this brief piece manages to pack in a lot of beauty as well as drama.

Hmm, yes, I see we're all a bit uncertain about what the vocal lines are exactly, since the solo strings representing them aren't mixed in hotter than the rest. The ensemble sounds rich and very nicely arranged, we just can't be sure of what the vocal lines are.

The fairly intimate sound you have, placing this in moderately sized hall works for me. I'm sure other people would expect it to be in a larger space, but as you may know, I feel that huge room effect is over done. There Are other effective choices, and I appreciated not having this swim in reverb.

There's a lack of Legato in this that I'm sure I haven't heard in your music before, as if work in that area was purposely limited? There's a pumping quality this way which seems not as appropriate as a smoother more Legato sound would.

Interesting surprise passages in this--I really liked those, and the whole composition was too short-lived but really engaging.

Thanks for the rich, early glimpse at the holiday season!

Randy B.

Thanks Randy and Ray -- your input really gives me some things to think about. I do all this just with Finale and GPO/Kontakt, and I am not very knowledgeable about audio processing (though trying to gradually learn), so this kind of feedback about room sizing, etc is very helpful. I'll think about the legato -- it might be easier to think about if/when I can distinguish the vocals from the the other parts in the mix. I just used the solo strings to get a feel for the harmonies/interplay, as you know... and as Diligamus said, it would be so nice to have some vocal samples.... I really need to get this music on the "other" system -- which has proper digital audio processing and recording facitlities (ProTools) and lay down some real vocals. You all are giving me the inspiration to get off my butt and try that.... i've been procrastinating for over a year on that....

Thanks for listening, guys!

My best,

Quote Originally Posted by KE Peace
    at some point i may try to dub the voices in myself (at least Soprano thru most of tenor)
    I'd be interested to hear how that turns out.

Aziraphal got a good effect on Boots of Freedom but that was 22 (!) vocal parts and it still sounds like an good effect but not the same as a choir. I did an experiment in 6-tracking myself and adding 4 soundfont aah parts to thicken it, but to avoid hijacking your thread I'll PM you the link to how it sounds rather than posting it here.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Hi Karen,

Very Beautiful. Honestly I think the solo instruments blend so well, that you could keep them in and still have a great piece. I'm sure you have words for the singers and everything, but hey....

Glad to see your over writer's block!

Hi thanks Matt and Dig.

Well, I wish I could say that this means i'm over the slump -- but i wrote this some time ago. I've been just doing some simple things (A Christmas medley for string quartet) just to keep a finger in things. I've been assured by more than one person that it's normal to go through such a dry period after some major efforts (i've been cranking for a year and a quarter with hardly a stop, until now....)

Ray, re: rhythms -- I wrote this after singing Rutter's Magnificat and loved the way he moved in and out of time signatures. It's hard to follow what is going on here without a score -- the beginning alternates between 3/4 and 3/8 time. The short fugue-like section alternates briefly between 4/4 and 3/4 and then goes into 4/4. The very end has time sig's 2/4 - 3/4 - 5/8. It is fun to practice conducting this one (something I do pretty regularly, not because I have any such responsibilities, but because it's fun - just me and an imaginary chorus and orchestra in my garage... ).

Dig., thanks for the ideas on simulating a chorus with all those layers; sounds dumb but i never thought of that -- i guess i was thinking of singing each part just once or using some kind of knob to make each one sound like a chorus (i mean like the knob called chorus -- is that what it does? OK this is the dumb question section!! Like I said, I'm really a total neophyte at audio processing: "When in doubt, bump up the reverb" )

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast