• Register
  • Help

Topic: Guitar sounds - how to?

Share/Bookmark

Guitar sounds - how to?

Hello,

i'm trying to "model" a guitar sound as found throughout this song, especially in the beginning before the drums set in, using a real guitar, but software-only amp sims (using a DI box).

Now i'm really wondering how they manage to get such a deep, powerful sound. I'm trying to achieve the same sound using Amplitube 2, yet mine is rather shallow and lacks the punch those guys have.

What would be the basic set up for a guitar amp rig (virtual or physical) to get that kind of sound? Does anyone know?

Re: Guitar sounds - how to?

Quote Originally Posted by illuminatus
    Hello,
    i'm trying to "model" a guitar sound as found throughout this song, especially in the beginning before the drums set in, using a real guitar, but software-only amp sims (using a DI box).
    Now i'm really wondering how they manage to get such a deep, powerful sound. I'm trying to achieve the same sound using Amplitube 2, yet mine is rather shallow and lacks the punch those guys have.
    What would be the basic set up for a guitar amp rig (virtual or physical) to get that kind of sound? Does anyone know?
    I don't know about the amp simulation part and I'm sure someone will come up with a newer idea. In the old days there were 3 things that I still use. Doubling, timing offset of the double and detuning. Beyond that you'll be teaching me. Good luck.
    Disclaimer: I rode the short bus
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

Software amp sims arent bad.. but stil nothing ou there to beter a REAL amp or even line 6 pods. The real secret for phatness is layering. without spending $$ on a amp, get a line 6 pod an layer with amplitude or guitar Rig. or at very least if cant get POD layer few slightly different amplitude distortion sounds (like one FUZZ box style an 1 with more diction) by themselves they may sound a little messy or weak but together can be quite phat. Group em to the same sub-bus an put some compression, limiter an tweak EQ to ears r liking it..
    Hope that helps.

Most of the depth to sound of a guitar rig comes from the type of speaker cabs that are used. For the BIG guitar sounds you would want some good 4X12 cabs. There are a multitude of speaker cab simulators available.

If you don't mind spending a few $$, the Boss GT8 processor has everything you need for great guitar sounds including full MIDI implementation.

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/GT-8/index.html

It is also excellent for live work (i.e. guitar through a P.A.)

Hope this helps in some way

P.S. Check out the downloadable user manual for the MIDI imlementation

If you have a small practice amp and a DI box, then get either a sm57 (industry standard) or a sennheiser e906 (my absolut favorit). You don't have to play loud to get big tone. I think it was Zappa who talked about the awesome tone of the pignose amps. Watch out for how much gain you've got on the different tracks, because a great guitar sound often has way less gain that you think.

You can then layer this tone with you dry tone, and get some awesome tones out of anyone of the three big amp simulators (Amplitude, Guitarrig or my favorit : gearbox). a good trick during the layering is to have a good lowgain midrange sound going along with a higher gain with a more treble sound. mixing the two will give you a "deeper" if you watch out for phase problems.

EQ is really a big thing, and so is panning, but the biggest thing is actually the arrangment of the song.... And then the mixing as well. Remember that a "Big" guitar tone doesn't really work well with big drums and big bass.

Go Back to forum