• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO SOlo strings

GPO SOlo strings

I'm trying to get to grips with the Sibelius version of GPO, now upgraded for Sibelius 5 and said to be identical to the 'full' GPO. My problem is with solo strings, some of which seem to have provision for keyswitched trem and trills, but which don't respond either to the Sibelius playback of tremolo articulation nor to the keyswitches. Fiddling (hehe) about in the Kontakt player rack I can make various ensemble strings play these things, but the solo instruments just add an ugly burp at the end of the note. The burp is the same pitch for trem keyswitches, and a semitone or tone higher respectively for the trill switches - so it's trying to do something.

When GPO was first supplied as part of Sibelius, I eventually got the Sibelius people to admit that, despite their documentation, there were no solo trem sounds. Maybe that's really the case? If someone will tell me that solo strings just don't do a sampled trem in GPO then I'll give up and go looking for something else. But maybe someone can point me in the right direction to find what I'm looking for.

Re: GPO SOlo strings

Hi, Lurker

That is an excellent question, and one I don't recall seeing reference to here at the Forums since I've been a member.

I use Sonar, not a notation program, but what you described I'm familiar with. The solo strings don't keyswitch into an actual trem patch the way the KS ensemble strings do.

As you said, the trem keyswitches for the solo strings make them go up either a half or whole step on release. That's what you first described as a "burp." So - how's that supposed to work? To get the notes you want, you need to play them a half or whole step lower? And you apparently are intended to play 32nd notes to get the trem effect - yet, as I said earlier, when you ask for a group KS trem, you just sustain the note you want and the trem sample plays--making the two approaches completely different.

I can certainly see how this wouldn't work for notation at all--you'd be notating the wrong note, you'd have to have the measure filled up with all those 32nd notes--what a mess.

I'll tell you--because of this odd solo trem keyswitching, I gave up and have never used it.

Are we missing something? Maybe someone has some helpful info on this, because as of right now, that whole issue is a messy mystery to me too.

Randy B.

Hi, Tom - As always, it's very good to get some ideas and help from you.

"...I think the Finale versions that came with the program worked in the "old" way and I think they fixed it so that the full version works now too..."

But what is the "old" way--? I don't know what you mean. Lurker and I have been scratching our heads over how these solo string trem keyswitches are supposed to work. You're saying there have been two different versions? Which is the "old"--what's the new way?

"...But for sequencer users it's actually great. It allows you to make a trill or tremolo at the speed YOU want and not be stuck with the given speed of a presampled trill..."

But what do you do when you release the note for the final time during a passage and it "burps" up (to use Lurker's word) to the wrong note? It's something like The Strad where's there's a special keyswitch for doing trems, and it works fine, playing notes as fast as you can to get the sound--But in the case of The Strad, it ends back down on the note you started with--kind of where you need it.

What do you do, Tom? Insert a keyswitch note right before the final note so the note will behave on the last note of a trem section?

Randy B.

H'lo again, Tom

"...Well a tremolo is gonna be the same note..."

What I've found very awkward is when you use the solo string keyswitches, you're stuck with it ending up on a higher note than what you play. It seems an awkward way that it was programmed, because it looks like the only way to resolve things back to the note you need is to hand insert a return to the normal articulation right before the last note--as we're saying here. It would've been nice if the sample would have returned the proper note - ya know?

Randy B.

Go Back to forum