• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: [WIP] ....a short bombastic excerpt.

Share/Bookmark

[WIP] ....a short bombastic excerpt.

This is a work in progress

An attempt to create something more rapid & intense..

Orchestration #6: "Frenetic".........(unfinished)

http://www.mass-machine.com/Music_Files/Frenetic.mp3

Comments, suggestions?

thanks

~Jeff

Re: [WIP] ....a short bombastic excerpt.

Hi, Jeff

Exciting! There's some very effective orchestration in this, and the recording is sounding really good to me. I certainly enjoyed the drama, with all the well constructed builds, and the momentum of your arrangement.

I see why you said "rapid and intense" - the rapid part fits the second half of this piece, but I feel you should re-think the designation of this being "Frenetic" - or "bombastic." The latter adjective isn't usually used in a complementary way, usually used to describe something which is over-blown and perhaps insincere. When I saw that in the subject line, it seemed possibly apologetic, or said with some embarrassment. I say just put it out there--You wrote a big dramatic piece, great!- now make no excuses for it!

"Frenetic" doesn't describe this at all for me though. That word is descriptive of things that are the equivilant of high blood pressure, running faster than needs be, all over the map, busy, and hysterical even. What you've written here is dramatic, as I said, but I wouldn't think "Frenetic" suits it at all really. Amp up the tension even more in it, then maybe it'd be "Frenetic." Right now it's good dramatic action-filled music.

The first half is big and tragic, like a film where the hero slowly walks into the ruins of a building to discover the dead body of a comrade or loved one--something like that. After the percussion interlude, it sounds like music to take action by--this is the part that made you think of the word "Frenetic" probably.

ANyway--it's an exciting WIP. Thanks for sharing the progress thus far!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hello, Randy,

Your gift of writing equals that of your compositions!.... Imaginative and sincere.

Thanks for the kind words my friend.

As for the descriptive and title?... I would describe many modern film scores as bombastic. and perhaps those of earlier works like, Pokofeiv, Holst, etc.

I love this style of composition...It was my hope to create something in that spirit.

Frenetic is what came to mind as I began the second and final stages of this (unfinished) piece...
    However, reading your comments, I may have to pump it up.. More frantic, less bombastic perhaps.

But it's interesting to hear a new perspective/interpretation!

Thanks for sharing your comments...

~Jeff

Howdy, Jeff

"...reading your comments, I may have to pump it up.. More frantic, less bombastic perhaps..."

I'm back to say that it's my take on your descriptors which didn't work for me, not your composition. I wasn't suggesting that I thought you should change what you've written.

I love big, dramatic music, but my personal take on the word "bombastic" is analogous to what we call "over-acting" in theatre - which is insincere largeness. Acting or music can be huge and bigger than life and still be sincere. Bombastic to me connotes insincerity. Something with more bluster than substance.

And similarly, frenetic to me is something verging on being out of control--a desirable attribute used in small doses.

And that's all semantics. My personal take on the words you used.

I would say your piece here is dramatic, and energetic.

Thanks for enjoying what I wrote in response. Sometimes I Do go on when I'm stoked by music, like I was by your new piece. Keep at it, my friend!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    . . . I love this style of composition...It was my hope to create something in that spirit.
    You seemed to have captured the spirit of the style of the music that you love! I liked it!! Super job with the orchestration and rendering!

I hope to hear more!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Hi Jeff,

"Rapid and intense" music is something I often compose in my head, but have a heck of a time getting on paper (or on the computer, to be more precise), so I certainly can't claim to be an expert at all!

However, one thing you could try is adding a bit more... "pulsing-ness". You do start a bit of this in the background around 1:00, but it could be more pronounced and longer-lasting. For example, perhaps some rapid string staccato notes, either playing bass notes or whirling through some ostinato could add intensity. What tends to come to my mind is of course a scene from "Amadeus" in which Mozart is dictating music to Salieri and says "Now for the real fire" and hums the powerful energetic rapid string notes. (Hard to describe with words, you'd have to watch the clip: http://youtube.com/watch?v=nJ226kQJiHY ). Those rapid strings, in my opinion, really make that part "rapid and intense"! Perhaps you could also mix in a bit more repetitive percussion, such as a light cymbal or a tambourine accenting some notes with a constant rhythm. Again, you already have a bit of this around 1:00, but to me it just seems too subtle, as if there's indeed tension and something exciting is going on, but the fire has not yet been lit. Of course, this is all just based on my subjective opinions, but I hope it helps somehow.

That said, I really enjoyed what you have so far! I hope you continue with this.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

This is intense and bold. I like it very much. It depicts a lot of action to me. Very imaginative.
    -Jay

Very nice string work! Your work is very good. Thanks for posting.

Finish it!

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Semantics indeed..

It's true. A title of a song is similar to that of a book cover. Shouldn't be important but somehow it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    "...reading your comments, I may have to pump it up.. More frantic, less bombastic perhaps..."

I'm back to say that it's my take on your descriptors which didn't work for me, not your composition. I wasn't suggesting that I thought you should change what you've written.

No worries Randy, I was only joking with my first response..

Thanks again for the comments!

Jeff

Thanks, Ted!

I appreciate the kind words... ( and the great comments you've given on my earlier posts!)

~Jeff

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast