• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Strad as a fiddle?

Share/Bookmark

Strad as a fiddle?

Anyone have any opinion on whether the Strad could do decent country type fiddle playing in a live situation? I've often wanted to be able to do fiddle line for my band which does country and rock covers but you know how the average workstation type synth does violin. It might as well not. I do need the strad anyway for composing but I was really wondering about it in a country context. I didnt see any demos that put it in that light. Anyone?

Thanks, Eric

Re: Strad as a fiddle?

IT'S GREAT AS A COUNTRY FIDDLE

sorry for shouting

Ray

Does anyone have a demo as such? Also, keep in mind that I'm reffering to using it in a live context. Thanks again.

Eric

Eric

Here is a little tune I put together

http://www.rayinstirling.net/RK10001.MP3

Ray

There is a demo of the old time fiddle tune Orange Blossom which you can find in the demo link attached to the Strad section of the Garritan site. There should also be a demo of Lord Gordon's Reel but it seems to have been removed so the link does not work. As with real fiddles, the trick lies in use of fingers and bow. Nobody that I know of has made the 'classic' country fiddle which does it all by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by dermod
    Nobody that I know of has made the 'classic' country fiddle which does it all by itself.
    nothing does it all by itself but that's no reason for not trying to make it work.

Thanks guys. I did just check out the orange blossum video and it seems pretty cool. I do realize that nothing is like the real thing and that I surely couldnt pull off everything but it would be nice to add that flavor to the band as much as possible. I see it says that a 6 octave keyboard is required for best results; Is that because of keyswitches? All my boards that I use live are 5 octave boards. I do have a Roland with aftertouch but the pitch/modulation is combined in the out-of-date roland style of thier typical stick/lever. I'm assuming that modulation drives dynamics much like the GPO string patches. Is pitch bend just for pitch bend?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    Thanks guys. I did just check out the orange blossum video and it seems pretty cool. I do realize that nothing is like the real thing and that I surely couldnt pull off everything but it would be nice to add that flavor to the band as much as possible. I see it says that a 6 octave keyboard is required for best results; Is that because of keyswitches? All my boards that I use live are 5 octave boards. I do have a Roland with aftertouch but the pitch/modulation is combined in the out-of-date roland style of thier typical stick/lever. I'm assuming that modulation drives dynamics much like the GPO string patches. Is pitch bend just for pitch bend?

Eric
    On the Strad the mod wheel is for vibrato so it's the one Garritan instrument that can be played using a Roland pitch/mod control

Very cool. Thanks.

Eric,

You really will be impressed by the Strad. with variations in velocity, expression asigned to a pedal, aftertouch etc. No it won't be the real thing but I think I know what you are looking for as a performer myself.
    It will allow you to do solo's with double string notes etc.

Ray

Go Back to forum