• Register
  • Help

Topic: Chris Hein Electric Guitars examples?

Share/Bookmark

Chris Hein Electric Guitars examples?

I've been waiting a long time for MusicLab's Real Strat. However, the first demo's disappointed me a lot, so I started looking elsewhere. And so I found out about Chris Hein Guitars. I haven't been making music for a year and a half so I didn't know anything about it. I have to say the acoustics sound very good, and very similar to MusicLab's Real Guitar 2L, which I own.

But I am mainly interested in the electric guitars, and specially how they sound when used with amp-sims. Now I can't find any examples of this in the official site (and unfortunately all demo-movies ony use acoustic guitars) and it seems that people who use CHG do not want others to know this, so... does anyone know where I can find examples of CHG and the specially the electric guitar in combination with amp-sims (I own Auro Pro and will get NI Guitar Combo's in a few days). I'd like to know if CHG can be used to make (heavy) rock (screaming solo's, power chords, etc.). I also wonder how much midi-editing you have to do to get things sound realistic.

BTW CHG goes beyond my budget, but if it sounds good, well... and I understood it comes with Kontakt 2 player, so I do NOT need a sampler for it, right? It will work right out of the box?

Re: Chris Hein Electric Guitars examples?

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Thanks for the mighty quick reaction, but those are the 'clean' examples made without any amp-sims which also can be found on Chris Hein's site...

BTW Is there any chance on a (cheaper! ) electric-only version of this sample librari?

BTW 2 About that Kontakt 2 player: will I miss options and possibilities if I only use the included Kompakt 2 player?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen van E
    Thanks for the mighty quick reaction, but those are the 'clean' examples made without any amp-sims which also can be found on Chris Hein's site...

BTW Is there any chance on a (cheaper! ) electric-only version of this sample librari?

BTW 2 About that Kontakt 2 player: will I miss options and possibilities if I only use the included Kompakt 2 player?
    Just send the clean examples through your amp player simulation. A distorted sound is only as good as the clean sound as it is nothing but a clean sound sent through a tube amp and....well...distorted. BUT.....you won´t get these nasty feedback sounds as they are caused by the interaction from the pickup with the amp. CHG won´t produce those and I´m not sure if they can easily be simulated rather than having to use distinct samples.

There is no other option than buying the whole package. It´s worth it though. The jazz guitar is a killer on it´s own.

CHG comes with the Kontakt player not Kompakt player as it relies heavily on scripting for which you need Kontakt or the Kontakt player. It´s a "play out of the box package"

Hope this helped
    Regards
    Raindog

Could do that, but the clean samples aren't in the style I'd like them to be. But I'll try that anyway.

I can recommend CHG, too, but... If you are looking for originally recorded power chords, sus-chords and a lot of "hot" stuff you should also check out the following Bela D Media "Lyrical Distortion" demos:

http://www.beladmedia.com/ld1-demos.htm

I have the editions 1 and 2 (alltogether 8 GB) because I also produce harder stuff and I can say I love these libraries! A K2-multi, btw with a true killer skript, which uses Ed. 1 and 2 samples can be downloaded from some forum entries somewhere here and from

http://www.aarondirk.com/shizit2

,who is the producer.

Ed. 1 and 2 are sampled with distortion included (caused by mesa boogie), but the HOPEFULLY very soon upcoming Ed. 3 will be the clean version that you can rape with amp simuations yourself.

Ooops, forgot to mention that you need NI Kontakt 2, which is available until end of August at a discount everywhere and should not be missing in any studio.

Best,

Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by Schmandie
    A K2-multi, btw with a true killer skript, which uses Ed. 1 and 2 samples can be downloaded from some forum entries somewhere here and from

http://www.aarondirk.com/shizit2
    Sorry, the link leads to the pdf-manual, the multi itself is available on the user-forum, as soon as you are registered.

I write lots of metal with CHG's electric guitar through Guitar Rig 2. It's an awesome library for this purpose. I am not allowed to post any of these pieces for you to hear, but I am wrapping up a massive symphonic metal song that uses CHG for all kinds of gnarly purposes, and is owned entirely by me. So it can and will be posted.

I mainly produced it to show off CHG as a hard rocker's kind of guitar library, since most of the demos - as you noticed - feature more classical/bluesy music, which is fine but doesn't properly illustrate the library's full versatility.

I'm not sure when my demo will be finished. I'm aiming for a couple of weeks.

In regards to your questions on CHG's capabilities, it's about as detailed as any guitar library might ever get. It even has more articulations than LPC (which is lacking things like reverse bends and natural harmonics). It's a fantastic library for writing insane shredding solo's and heavy power chord chugs alike. It's really, really good.

The wonderful pinch harmonics and excellent variety of string attacks are the key to nailing that "screaming" sound you're after.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I sure ain't. I never, ever write around the samples with this library.

Lyrical Distortion is also quite good, but I mainly use it for rhythm guitar because its articulation list is a little light for virtuosic solo work, but well-suited for most of your basics in the rhythm department. Even then, it's missing stuff I use frequently for my rhythm tracks, like pinch harmonics. And there are some tuning issues with the mutes in the upper register (which is how mutes sounds in real life, but I wish they'd force-tuned them to the correct pitches).

I augment this library with LPC's pinch harmonics, fret noise, bridge mute noises, etc. With some creativity, you can effectively program "faked" versions of most of the articulations missing from LD (i.e., the slides at the end of Theo Krueger's LD2 demo "Monkey Business").

Still, I'd recommend CHG as a phenomenal all-around guitar package for just about anything you might want to write, followed closely by LPC, which has the sonic edge over CHG, in my opinion (which is heavily biased in favor of Les Pauls), but fails to beat out CHG simply because it's an all-electric library versus CHG's greater flexibility. Though, I often turn to LPC over CHG because it's a bare bones, open source library with a bilion articulations that lend themselves well to editing and custom programming. And I've built some cool patches from LPC's samples.

-Tom

I've been looking at Direct Guitar for a while. It's very inexpensive and sounds pretty good for the money. If I had the funds I would spring for LPC, though.

Go Back to forum