• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Weird behavior with GVI 3.63 and Sonar 6.2

Share/Bookmark

Question Weird behavior with GVI 3.63 and Sonar 6.2

I just noticed that there were updates at the Tascam site, so I downloaded 3.63, installed it and tried to open it in Sonar. It appears to load but the GVI interface won't appear so it's useless. It WILL appear as a standalone, but not in Sonar. I went back and downloaded and installed 3.62 and everything works fine with that update. I was updating from 3.60. I don't know if 3.63 has a problem with Sonar or if it's a bug. Anyone out there have any success with the latest update and Sonar 6.2?

Re: Weird behavior with GVI 3.63 and Sonar 6.2

Cody, just tried the patch & same here. Tried a rescan, booting etc.. went back to GVI 3.62.
    GS3-GVI, Sonar PE 6,
    Asus P5AD2 D P4 3.6 GHz, 4gigs Ram-DDR2 EB DC, SATA Raptor 74GB x2/ SATA WD 500G x 2 / WD 300G
    Main sample use: VSL Libraries: Opus, Solo Strings, Epic Horns; Sam Horns Complete; Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums, various
    Evga GeForce PCX 6600 256MB DDR

Cool Re: Weird behavior with GVI 3.63 and Sonar 6.2

Hmmmmmmmmmm

I am curious as to when you say that the GVi interface doesnt appear - does it show itself but the gui is blanked out? Is this when you load a Sonar project that has been saved with GVI in it?

The reason i ask is that weve had a really weird issue with GVI V 3.63 in Nuendo 3. Basically if you save GVI as part of a template or project GVI, the project loads but GVI appears completely blank. This will then cause Nuendo to crash. It seemed to me that GVI was acting very strangely in regards to the way it was addressing memory within Nuendo. So i tried it in standalone mode, loaded up my GVI preset and what happens - GVI completely vanished! No error messages, nothing! WTF!

Now the thing about our GVI preset was that it was blank - no instruments loaded but each channel had different outputs assigned. We record in Nuendo but everythiung gets monitored and mixed in a separate Pro Tools system. So as part of our Nuendo template AND our GVI template i needed the outputs setup accordingly so that they would be bussed to the appropriate channels in Pro Tools. Otherwise ive gotta assign 32 Giga outputs in the Nuendo mixer evrytime we start a new project - no thanks!

It seems like, though, that GVI completely whacks out when you tried to load a preset with no instruments loaded. Maybe it just wasnt coded for this as they wouldnt think that anyone would need to do this (i can understand this from a coding point of view but not from a composers point of view). Also it seems as though if you save a GVI preset that has empty channels but the outputs are assigned to something other than 1-2 then GVI crashes. Anyway, thats whats happening here. The workaround: just save a preset that has at least one instrument loaded and all outputs set to 1-2. What a joke...

Would be curious if you could try this: load up GVI in standalone mode, save the empty preset. Quit GVI and reopen. Load that blank preset. Does GVI then completely disappear?

Regards,
    James

James,
    In my case with Sonar 6 it just doesn't appear at all. It acts like its loading and then . . . nothing. No window no gui. However 3.62 seems to work fine.

James, I believe I received a 'plug-in not found ' error pop up message. The GVI loader window did not appear at all.
    GS3-GVI, Sonar PE 6,
    Asus P5AD2 D P4 3.6 GHz, 4gigs Ram-DDR2 EB DC, SATA Raptor 74GB x2/ SATA WD 500G x 2 / WD 300G
    Main sample use: VSL Libraries: Opus, Solo Strings, Epic Horns; Sam Horns Complete; Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums, various
    Evga GeForce PCX 6600 256MB DDR

Quote Originally Posted by Cody
    I just noticed that there were updates at the Tascam site, so I downloaded 3.63, installed it and tried to open it in Sonar.
    I'm curious to know if you checked out the latest update, 3.64. If so, does it fix the issues found in 3.63? I don't want to update beyond 3.62 until I find out. Thanks
    -Rajay
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

Well just for the fun of it I decided to bite the bullet and see if 3.64 would work in sonar 6.

That would be a "no."

It acts just the same as 3.63. No visible user interface. GVI's there though. If you load a file that had GVI instruments imbedded, they will play but there will be no adding instruments because the interface is invisible. It's not hidden behind windows either, I checked.

Reinstalled 3.62 and everythings good again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody
    Well just for the fun of it I decided to bite the bullet and see if 3.64 would work in sonar 6.
    That would be a "no."
    It acts just the same as 3.63. No visible user interface. GVI's there though. If you load a file that had GVI instruments imbedded, they will play but there will be no adding instruments because the interface is invisible. It's not hidden behind windows either, I checked.
    Reinstalled 3.62 and everythings good again.
    Thanks for being my Mikey. I was afraid of just that. Not being able to see what I was doing and having to perhaps un-install and lose stuff, not having the computer skills like you. As I was telling someone in another post, I use GVI mostly as a sample player for my thousands of Akai, Roland, E-MU, Samplecell and other samples by translating them to .gig files with Translator Pro. Having GS3 in the same machine is a bonus since that allows access to the full Giga editor. Sometimes the updates have little unmentioned side effects that help the quality of those samples as well as the way they play. Thanks so much for the heads up. Looks like 3.62's the ticket for me still. Thanks.
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

I'm having this problem too. If I load up old projects with GVI in them, they will play fine but I can't open the GVI screen. I can add NEW GVI soft-synths in, but for whatever reason they can't see the presets from my old GVI.

I'm going to down-convert to 3.62 and see if that helps.

Go Back to forum