• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: It's Easy To Remember

Share/Bookmark

Arrow It's Easy To Remember

A Cool Jazz rendition of an old tune. For Tenor, Flugal horn, piano, and strings.
    Here's an updated effort from suggestions.
    Working in Finale & KK2 I experimented with dials on the (?) individual instruments. On the †enor, I could only move the AIRNS from 127 to 125: the leng†h on some instrumen†s would not move, but some did. One thing I did with the string parts was write in many more slurs.
    1st attempt
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5593881&q=hi
    2nd attempt ****
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5593881&q=hi
    Last edited by garymosse; 07-26-2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: revised recording

Re: It's Easy To Remember

Hi, Gary

Neat stuff in this recording. It's a fun direction you're going into these days.

Some of the same issues here as in the piece you just put up previously. Choppiness, but this time especially in the strings--I'm not sure what you've done, most pronounced on the Cellos--Like you've turned back the Length control an awful lot? They're coming in spurts and chugs, which without good use of the Garritan Legato function, they're bound to do when the length is so short.

You've played with the spit air sound on the Sax it definitely sounds like. I'd say it needs pulling back, this guy is Spraying me big time! lol - Use that as a continuous controller, adding various degrees throughout, and most of the time like so down it's almost off.

It's a neat arrangement, it's just not flowing like the cool style you're intending, sounds to me.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Randy,
    You will have to brief me onb the length control. I didn't know I used it.
    And what is the spit air control? Is that in the legato function? Where is that?
    Thanks for listening,
    Gary

It was a fun and interesting listen.

I have to agree with Randy B. about the strings. The sax sounds like it needs a little tweaking and maybe some verb. I noticed it being very quiet at 0:55 and by 1:05 it's dominating.

Phil

Hi, Gary

The Length knob seen in Kontact is controlled by MIDI controller #21. You can just set the knob to a lower degree than the default, or control it at various parts of a piece when needed. The Contra Basses in GPO, for instance, tend to really boom out for longer than is usually needed, and that can be tamed by moving the knob.

But if you didn't purposely change the Length - the data snuck in somehow? Because the Cellos especially are chopping off unnaturally, as if this Length control has been turned way down if not off.

The "spit" in the Sax I was talking about is referred to as Air Flow Noise, and is controlled by MIDI #12. It's effective to bring it up now and then, depending on the needs of a passage, but it sounds to me like that control has been moved up to a fairly loud level and stays there for the whole song. Maybe you somehow brought that up without realizing it?

Is there any cc #64 Legato on the strings? I don't know how they could be so choppy if you have applied some Legato.

You're working with notation, but isn't there a MIDI control panel where these kind of fine tunings can be made?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Gary,

You being someone who can do a nice rendition on mp3 of a horn trio, and play clarinet in the Beethoven Band. It pains me to hear this dreadful recording.
    I say recording, because I can hear the right notes in the right places just the most terrible presentation of them. Are you pulling our collective legs here? Playing a wind instrument you must know all about airflow noise, key click noise and note lengths etc. Who's kidding who here?

Ray

Hi Gary,

it was fun to listen for me. I have to agree with the others here. (Ray, not use sooo hard words..., please)

What you did is a good starting on this, work on it and I am sure you make it better and better.

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Gary, I really like the instrument combination, strings with a traditional jazz band. I miss percussion on this. The arrangement is nice, but I think the sound could you use a little more blending.
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Hi Gary,

it was fun to listen for me. I have to agree with the others here. (Ray, not use sooo hard words..., please)

What you did is a good starting on this, work on it and I am sure you make it better and better.

Gunther
    Gunther,

Hard words, I don’t think so. A fair and honest personal opinion is what I give. My reason for doing so is, and will always be to ask the poster to listen to their end product as a recording and be as critical with themselves as they would listening to other’s music. Not for my benefit! but for their own. The listening room isn’t for perusing compositional scores. It’s for listening. Using one’s ears. If others who comment want to ignore the recording, preferring to acknowledge the effort, fine! but that’s not me.

Ray

It's a bit opverwhelming to reply to all, but I would encourage you to listen again to my 2nd recording.
    I don't have a midi control to work with. I slowly am learning a bit about adjusting various levels on the Kontackt, but it's more guess than knowledge at this point.

Some of †he set†ings seem to be locked. Is there a key combina†ion to alter them, or is the lock part of the identification of †he particular instrument?

I'm sure †he 2nd recording has some faul†s. It may be recored too loudly. I set the strings much lower than Ten & trmpt., but they sometimes overwhelm.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast