• Register
  • Help

Topic: First Call Horns vs Chris Hein's Horns

Share/Bookmark

First Call Horns vs Chris Hein's Horns

How many of you enjoy playing in real time like me? I'm always on the look out for brass and winds (Jazz Genre please). I took a look at both of these VST modules and see that First Call Horns has reverb already built in to their VST module. I didn't see this in the other mentioned above. To play horns and reeds in the raw dry state is no inspiration in playing solos in real time playing. If I'm missing something here, please correct me, I am open to suggestions.

JMHO of course and comments are welcome.

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Re: First Call Horns vs Chris Hein's Horns

Hi Alan,

Chris Hein Horns has reverb included, too, as well as Chorus and Delay. You can control it via some pre-assigned MIDI controllers. Very nice sounding, very well programmed and very useful.

Best

Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by Schmandie
    Hi Alan,

Chris Hein Horns has reverb included, too, as well as Chorus and Delay. You can control it via some pre-assigned MIDI controllers. Very nice sounding, very well programmed and very useful.

Best

Andreas
    It would be more convenient to have the reverb, chorus and delay built right into the VST module. Doesn't this make more sense?

Thanks for your response,

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Well I just ordered First Call Horns and Kontakt2! It was a tough decision between FCH and Chris Hein's Horns. It came down to the sound on the demo. (Oh yeah and the price!) I will get CHH next. I, too like to have a variety.

Hey, Alan. I have been doing a ton of tracking and live work lately, and in the past six months have purchased just about every brass/jazz library except Broadway Big Band, Arturia, and Candy. I am tracking a full musical theater score right now, and am using the same patches to have the pit players play the rubato sections live. I love the sounds you can get with Chris Hein, as there are many more variations available with each patch. From the different falls, growls, swells and such, you can get a lot out of this instrument. However, if you are using them live, and especially if you are wanting to play more than one instrument at once, I'd use FCH. The basic patches have a little more life to them, from vibrato to a little dynamic movement on sustained notes, and I can layer them on a keyboard preset and have a fairly okay generic band patch. That being said, I think Chris Hein may have the better, cleaner sound overall. The brass attacks in FCH have a little too much "spit" sound for me, so anything fast moving or "tight" gets a little muddy. If you are simply needing solo lines, or say a trumpet section, to play live, the keyswitching in Chris Hein is pretty thorough, and with a little room convolution sounds quite good. Kick ~~~ Brass has some decent sounds, and a hard/expressive trumpet patch that has a lot of punch to it, but doesn't have near the variation in sound. (I'll also report that with the recent Kontakt update, Chris Hein Horns imports into Kontakt EXTREMELY well now! Until the update almost every preset would crash my system.) I use Garritan as well, but those sounds really need programming to be effective, although I use the percussion from JABB all of the time. Hope that helps!

Go Back to forum