• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "From Lust To Love"

"From Lust To Love"

Hi all

Please excuse my self indulgence with this one.

It was written about the start of my relationship with my partner. This occured several years after I separated from my wife of 26 years.

The title describes how the relationship evolved. There were some eight definite sections (on my part anyway) - the time on the track is in brackets:

Lust (0:00)
    It pretty much does what it says on the tin. It was the real reason for starting in the relationship.

Wondering (00:52)
    This was me wondering if it was possible to have another long term relationship.

Turmoil (01:12)
    Knowing deep down that I wanted a new relationship but not willing to admit it to myself.

Longing (01:50)
    Remembering what it was like to be in a loving relationship and knowing it was good. Longing for the chance but not willing to jump in feet first.

Confusion (02:32)
    The confusion of wanting to be single but needing to be with my new partner.

Realisation (03:00)
    The realisation that I was falling in love with this woman no matter how hard I tried to deny it.

Acceptance (03:15)
    Finally admitting to myself that I loved her and I wanted to be with her.

Love (03:51)
    The real thing

The opening piano phrase in "Lust" is repeated in "Love" but in major. Maybe this means (to me) that there is still lust in love?

A liitle deep I know but I hope it means something to someone.

All instruments are GPO

Thank you

Shelton, Washington State

Re: "From Lust To Love"

esnips won't work with a Mac.

Hi, Paul

---side note about Esnips. The player there doesn't work for me, I'm on a PC, but the trick I use is to click the MP3 widget, and then I play the music in the new window that opens.

Self indulgent you think? The text describing the genesis of this project is the kind of stuff from which music is made. Love and its myriad mysteries is probably the theme of more music than any other theme. I don't think you need to apologize for this being "self indulgent"--because it isn't. You drew from your own experience to create music--What a wonderful thing that is.

You've done a lot with a few chords. I liked the urgency of the opening section, and the layers you built on that. The GPO Violin is sounding pretty good, considering that it's obviously not as strong a soloist as the Garritan Strad.

This piece certainly went through changes, started at one place and ended up in a very different place - as described in your post. It's a dynamic thing you've put together, offering your listeners an interesting journey.

Because of the straight forward chord progressions in this, I thought maybe it would do well to have drums in it. Electric Guitar. It's not as if it sounds like it's lacking in the arrangement, I'm just musing out loud about how it could do as more of a grand rock piece.

This was an interesting piece-And I want to recap what I said at first. To draw, from your heart, inspiration from your struggles and life experience - that's where art springs from. So - Thank you, Paul.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    ---side note about Esnips. The player there doesn't work for me, I'm on a PC, but the trick I use is to click the MP3 widget, and then I play the music in the new window that opens.
    Tell me more, maybe in another thread. [also Fastlane's comment that it doesn't work on Mac]

I enjoyed this Paul, especially the solo violin which gets a real work out here and shows well. I agree with Randy; you've packed a lot into a fairly simple framework - and it works well. Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Graham

Shelton, Washington State

I did the widget and it also worked on my Mac.

When you're young there is just the first stage. It's so simple.

But I did find the changes interesting and telling.

I could not hear any thing. There was no sound the player started, but nothing.

Earlier today when I tried to listen to this music I did not have any sound. I went in search of the reason. It was after I call tech suppor for my computer and before I could even tell the tech rep what my problem was, I had located the problem. Somehow the sound had been inadvertantly turned off.

That being said. I printed the discription earlier and now that I am able to hear it and follow the discription, I only wished that the e-snips player show the time. With the discription in had the music was almost like a film score.

Overall I really liked the music very much. Very well written and with the discription in hand each step of the way the music's meaning was very clear. I only wish that all of the great masters of the past and present would do something like this. If I could followed the score as the music was playing with the discription in hand, I think I would flipped over backwards in my chair with joy and excitment.

Thank your for sharing this. I look forward to more of the same kind of enlightment.
    Samantha Penigar

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Hi, Samantha

You probably missed this early on in the thread. The player at Esnips doesn't work for me either - but I figured out a work around. Here's a C&P of what I said earlier:

"...side note about Esnips. The player there doesn't work for me, I'm on a PC, but the trick I use is to click the MP3 widget, and then I play the music in the new window that opens..."

I'm rather sure that will work for you. I'm referring to the MP3 widget which is there for the page's users to copy and use on their web pages - But it works for visitors at Esnips also.

Randy B.

First time I was able to actually listen to something on esnips as I use a MacIntosh computer (thanks to Randy for suggesting to use the mp3 widget) Sometimes the problem has to do with the particular browser one uses but in this case it is cross platform. PC & macs.

As for the music, I really liked what you did - and as Randy said, please don't apologize for your inspiration. It is all legitimate! In this day and age of the Stradivari and Gofriller 'super expressive instruments' I do have a hard time listening to violin solos done on straight samples but there were areas that were actually quite good considering.

Thanks for posting!
    PS - I would suggest when you post your next masterpiece that you give people a heads up about the MP3 widgets in esnips.
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Thank you all for your comments once again

I didn't realise that it was so difficult to listen to tracks on esnips. Could anyone suggest a different (but free) place to host files so that they are easier to listen to?

Unfortunately, I am very restricted by budget. GPO is the very best I can afford at this time (even though my desire is for much much more). Hopefully as I become more proficient with GPO I can create more realism.

I will post this up on MySpace as well (I'll put it as the first piece)

Thank you all

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast