• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: something in the wind. (classical horns)

something in the wind. (classical horns)

This is a french horn quartet, with GPO horns. Please give a listen and comment.
    Thanks -Jay

UPDATE: 7-26-07/7:00pm, based on suggestions, I have increased the volume of the lower frequencies and backed off some of the reverb.

Re: something in the wind. (classical horns)

I get a lot of crackling and digital distortion in this file. Check it please.

Larry G. Alexander

Hmmm... no crackling or distortion here.

Very nice horn writing! The voice leading and counterpoint sounded very well constructed, something I definitely need more practice in. Good work with these harmonious horns! Thanks for sharing.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

hi larry, I listened to this mp3 at home and at work, and I did not hear any crackling or distrortion. I guess I don't know what to say, but it sounds ok to me. Thanks for trying listen anyway.

Thanks Sean. I was trying to make smooth movements between harmonic changes. I am glad that you did not hear the distortion either. I was beginning to wonder what was going on.

this is very nice, I enjoyed it!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Nice! composition and performance except for:
    too much reverb on the lower frequencies, needs dampened.
    too even volume on held notes. In Cubase I would simply draw the expression control in with a pencil dipping it in the middle of long notes as if the musician was turning away slightly then back. If you use only notation perhaps this doesn't mean a lot to you.

Nicely done. As a horn player there aren't a lot of horn pieces I hear that I actually think sound good and would also be playable by real horns - this one is a welcomed exception. My only concern is a few of the highest notes (sound like they are in the written horn pitch of high A or B?) mihgt be so high that the blend would be difficult.

I do think the recording could use a bit more of the bass horn parts to achieve a better balance against the top part(s).

Dallas, TX

This is a pleasant surprise, yes not enough horn pieces posted i agree. I love horns and there is lots of good stuf in this piece. I was not even a minute into listening before quickly deciding to download to my desktop, and continued listening confirmed this was a very good choice the make. Very nice work, Jay!

Wonderful work Jay!

I love the French horns. Such a rich, instrument.

The melody was absolutely delightful, A charming portrait filled with warmth and grace, yet separate from the typical regal fanfare.

and the choice of reverb gives the impression of a grand Cathedral setting. (was this intended?)

My only critique is the base volume which seems a touch too low. Perhaps simply raising the volumes on the Base track (at key times during their solo) could tie in together.

Excellent work Jay! ... such a pleasure to listen to.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast